Author Topic: Another Rugeley question - James Myatt  (Read 889 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Another Rugeley question - James Myatt
« on: Monday 05 August 19 03:58 BST (UK) »
Thought I would started a new thread so this next question didn’t get lost.  As recently with help we determined The Talbot Inn was different to Talbot Arms and discovered that poor John Williss had his business destroyed by the Rugeley Poisoner due to the exhumation of two bodies being taken directly to the Talbot Inn instead of the coach house.

I’m helping my brother in law Tim do his family tree and he is a descendant of John Williss, he’s also a descendant of a James Myatt also if Rugeley.  James daughter Sarah married Samuel Mills and their son Frederick Mills married Ella Willis.

Back to James I’ve been working on him and I’m now wondering if he could be one of the witnesses called in William Palmers trial.  From what I can see in 1851 James was a Railway labourer he’s living in Marlpits Rugeley with his widowed mother Jane and brother John.  He married in 1852 and is still living at Marlpits in 1861 and is listed as Railway Porter. 

I’ve looked and looked for another James Myatt in Rugeley but so far haven’t found one that fits.  So I was wanting opinions or help to see if the one called as witness could be him.  He stated to be post boy for the Talbot Arms which I’m assuming may come by rail?  He also asked to drive a customer back to the station.   I will attach the papers that have him in to see if you think he fits.  Any advice or opinion would be great.  There is a Myatt family living in Market st they are saddlers but no James.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Another Rugeley question - James Myatt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 19 03:59 BST (UK) »
Another report

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census there is a James Myatt,postboy,living at Aldergate Tamworth ref HO 107/2013/241/21.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 August 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census there is a James Myatt,postboy,living at Aldergate Tamworth ref HO 107/2013/241/21.

Regards
Roger
Thanks for that perhaps he was lodging somewhere at the time of inquest as it says he went home for dinner which back then Tamworth would of been a distance to travel?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 August 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
I agree,it does seem too far.It looks as if James,the son of this James Myatt,is also described as "post boy" in 1861,having been "errand boy" in 1851.
However,the James Myatt you refer to is a railway employee up to and including at least the 1881 census(his initial employment record,Rugeley,1848,is on Anc****).

Regards
Roger

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 August 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
I agree,it does seem too far.It looks as if James,the son of this James Myatt,is also described as "post boy" in 1861,having been "errand boy" in 1851.
However,the James Myatt you refer to is a railway employee up to and including at least the 1881 census(his initial employment record,Rugeley,1848,is on Anc****).

Regards
Roger

Thanks for that so likely the James Myatt witness  was son of the James Myatt from the 1851 census he looks rather young to have been the James senior in the drawing.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 August 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure,they all appear to be from Abbots Bromley,but none quite appear the right age.Need opinion of others,I think.

Roger

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 August 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure,they all appear to be from Abbots Bromley,but none quite appear the right age.Need opinion of others,I think.

Roger

It’s a hard one but I think I can remove the James Myatt from Tims tree as being the possible witness as it does seem post boy is a term used in the census  :D