Author Topic: Localities of Ballaughton and Ballakermeen, Braddon, Isle of Man  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Pilgrims Progress

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Localities of Ballaughton and Ballakermeen, Braddon, Isle of Man
« on: Monday 05 August 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings RootsCahtters,

Could any kind member offer me some assistance with the history of these two places named on the Morrison family I am tracing in Braddon, Isle of Man from the 1840s to the 1890s.

In 1841 Census the Morrison family were listed living Ballaughton, Braddon with 5 or 6 other families. On a modern day map I can find a Ballaughton Close and nearby a Ballaughton Lane and a Ballaughton Manor Hill on a modern day map all leading off the New Castletown Rd. 

In 1849 the Morrisons baptised a daughter Margaret Jane giving their abode as Ballakermeen, Braddon. On a modern day map I can see a Ballakermeen High School and nearby Ballakermeen Drive off the Peel Rd.

Were Ballaughton and Ballakermeen considered to be hamlets in that era 1840s which later became suburbs of Douglas? I have been unable to find references to this on the internet but would love to know more about these localities if anyone knows more.

Many thanks,

Pilgrims Progress

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Localities of Ballaughton and Ballakermeen, Braddon, Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
Before there were parishes in Douglas, what is now Douglas was split between the parishes of Braddan and Onchan (aka Conchan).
Castletown was the main town at that time.

Balla means homestead, or Farm.
So Ballaughton was the home of the Aughton family. John Aughton was mentioned in 1583.

Ballakermeen was originally Kermeen's farm, or McUrmen.

Both places have been extensively built over, and the names only survive as road names or the school.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 19 01:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks KGarrad,  ;D

I can only apologise for being so long away from the computer. This is excellent feedback as to the origin of these localities which had me baffled.

Thank you so much for so generously helping through the rootschat forum.  ;D ;D

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Localities of Ballaughton and Ballakermeen, Braddan, Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
look at www.manxnotebook.com and you will find much discussion re placenames - and to correct the previous poster Castletown was indeed until mid 19th Century the 'capital' as that was where the courts sat and the Governor resided but Douglas had been the commercial centre since the early 17th C and in late 19th C the Governor courts etc moved there.

In early 19th C with the introduction of steamships allowing reliable communication between Liverpool + the Island the area around Douglas was developed especially for "gentleman's residences" as with the development of the tourist industry there was more money to be made tho the early 'gentlemen' were retired Army/Navy officers who retired there for a cheaper way of life
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
1868/69 Map
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102343407

Ballaughton - just west of DOUGLAS in bold

• RootsChat Member