Author Topic: GAMBLE of St.Helens, Lancs, and Ireland  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GAMBLE of St.Helens, Lancs, and Ireland
« on: Monday 05 August 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Seeking any info (beyond BMD and Census Records) that might help push my family tree back past my Great-Great-Grandfather James Gamble.

Based on Census returns, his year of birth varies from 1812-1820 and he was born in Ireland.  According to his marriage certificate, his father was Baptist Gamble, a Factory Master.  James Gamble moved to St.Helens, Lancashire, sometime before 1841 and lived there until his death on 31 Oct 1869.  He married Hannah Ellis on 17 Dec 1849.  James was primarily employed as a boatman on the Sankey Canal. 

The 1841 Census lists a nephew, also named James, born abt 1837 in Manchester.  The 1861 Census also has a niece, Sahrit (spelling uncertain on that), born in 1845 also in Manchester. 

Finally, a Joseph Gamble born abt 1819 in Ireland, is listed as a widower in the 1851 Census living with James the younger.  I suspect Joseph is a younger brother to the older James Gamble and that the younger James Gamble was Joseph's son.   

I'd welcome any help to find specifics on this family.  I've managed to document most of James' children and their families but all attempts to push the family tree back beyond James have failed.  I can't find a birth record for him, nor can I find any marriage info that would identify his mother. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GAMBLE of St.Helens, Lancs, and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
The name Baptist Gamble is fairly unusual and seems to crop up mainly in the Enniskillen area (Co Fermanagh).

A possibility for your man's father is one who died in September 1839 aged 61

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178920726/baptist-gamble
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
There are numerous newspaper accounts that mention "Baptist Gamble" after 1839 death posted above with the most recent I noticed being in 1928.

This one mentions an Isabella along with Gamble but no indication of age or how they might be connected to James' father.
Dublin Daily Express, 29 Jan.1864: … ln this case Baptist Gamble and Isabella Gamble are the plaintiffs, ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the responses, folks.  I agree Baptist Gamble is an unusual name and so, one would think, it would be easy to trace.  Alas not in this case.

The Baptist Gamble who died in 1861 certainly is possible as a father of James.  Certainly he's of the right age. 

I had hoped to find the marriage of the probable brother, Joseph, who is listed as a widower in the 1851 Census, in hopes of confirming the father's name and perhaps .  Alas, again, I can't find any marriage of a Joseph Gamble in period around 1837.

One other thing that confuses me is that James Gamble's marriage certificate lists his father's occupation as a Factory Master and yet James was probably illiterate given that he signed his name with an "X".  I also wonder about the varied birth years in his Census returns.  Did he struggle with numbers, was he being evasive...or did he simply not care about his age?

As with so much related to James, I have lots of questions and precious few answers.

I truly appreciate all the help and suggestions on offer.  This knotty problem has been bugging me for some considerable time and I really need some help trying to crack it.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Cowban

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Related topic https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836126.0

Yeah...I started that thread, too.  I just thought adding the specific request to the Ireland section might garner better results.  Mea culpa.