Author Topic: Bitcheners /Bicheners of Kempston After 1700  (Read 1025 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bitcheners /Bicheners of Kempston After 1700
« on: Tuesday 06 August 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone on the Bedfordshire Board has the Kempston Parish records for Kempston from 1680 through to 1780. (All records would be for Kempston.)

I know there is sometimes a notation in the record of the occupation of an individual and that's what I'm seeking. I'm satisfied that I have accurate information for births and deaths for the following individuals. With the exception of the William named as 2, I don't have any idea of what they did for a living before the family moved to Cranfield in the late 1700's and became agricultural laborers.
1. Richard Bicheno married Anne Church at Hardmead. He was born in 1670. Probably died K.
2. Son William Bitchenor, born Kempston 1695 (a tailor) married Constance Houghton died 1746 K
3. William Bichener their son born in 1720 at Kempston married Elizabeth Ingram died 1759 K
4. William Bichener their son born in 1748 at Kempston married Sarah Ambridge died 1836 K
5. John Bichener their son born in 1788 at Kempston married Mary Bennett died 1858 Cranfield .
Any help with occupations of any of the above would be much appreciated. 

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bitcheners /Bicheners of Kempston After 1700
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 07:48 BST (UK) »
Attached link takes you to the PR transcript for Kempston from 1570 up to 1812 ...

https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari39bedf/page/n7

Regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
The Hardmead PRs as per Bucks FHS have marriage on 24 Sept 1691 of Robert BITCHINO of Crawley to Anne Church..
Clement - Croydon

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
John,

Thank you so much for your reply and so nice to see you continuing to help others like myself. I remember from some years back we found out we were distantly related. The information on Kempston was very useful and also confirmation of the Bicheno and Anne Church marriage in Hardmead.

Since Hardmead is in Bucks would you mind sending me the correct link to the Hardmead Buckinghamshire parish church records as you did for Kempston. Once I've got a link for both counties I assume I just change the number of the village and switch out the old one. I'm interested in Astwood, Marston Mortain, Hardmead and North Crawley, all villages close to the Beds/Bucks border.

Many thanks again. 

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hello.. The link I gave you for Kempston is similarly available for 93 parishes in the first 44 volumes of Bedfordshire Registers as transcribed by F G Emmison between 1931 & 1953. Other Beds parishes in volumes 45 - 80 transcibed in later years by Beds Country Record Office are not available this way.

Marston Moretaine is in Volume 44 so change the 39 to 44 in the link I sent you earlier....

These links are only for Bedfordshire... so no similar links to Bucks parishes...

I have the Hardmead, Astwood & Olney PR CD obtained from Bucks FHS

Regards John
Clement - Croydon

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your guidance. I accessed the Marston Mortain records using the link which included 44 and in couple of happy hours I traced back the Flutes who came to Astwood and Astwood Bury. I knew the early family came from Marston Mortain and it was interesting to see the variations in spelling: Floud, Flude, Fleud over the course of the records.

I have one more question since I'm looking into the Bitcheners who originated in North Crawley when records began in the mid 1500's. I have a hard copy of a search completed in the Buckinghamshire archives by a friend that surfaced births, marriages and deaths for anyone with a similar sounding last name. There are lots of variations but that family is definitely my root family. This is my question. In all the pages and pages of Bychenoe variations there is only one entry where the word 'alias' appears. Do you know what that signifies when it appears in the record? The entry reads in Burials for the village in February of 1619. "Robert Bichenoe alias BAKER son of Robert." In all the entries for North Crawley there are no references to occupation at all. So I don't want to jump to the conclusion that he was a baker by trade. Thoughts?

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 August 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
"Alias" means that Robert was known both as Robert Bichenoe and as Robert Baker. It definitely has nothing to do with his occupation. Why Robert has an alias can be difficult to explain. I've often found they go back several generations. If you still have access to any relevant parish registers it might be worthwhile looking for people called Baker and seeing if they could fill in any of your gaps.