Author Topic: Agnes McKenzie  (Read 1144 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes McKenzie
« on: Tuesday 06 August 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
I am researching Agnes McKenzie, born 1831 in St John's New Brunswick, arrived in Australia in 1841 and Sydney NSW in 1842. She was the only daughter of Kenneth McKenzie and Catherine Burgess, but had 6 brothers.
Kenneth McKenzie was a grocer, merchant, ship owner and also described as a 'ship's captain'. He died or disappeared about 1844. His wife Catherine later remarried, to John Weston in Sydeney in 1853.
I have found a couple of newspaper reports suggesting that Agnes may have fallen in to bad company and was brought before the courts for bad conduct, but the charges were dismissed.
I thought I found her marriage, children & death, paid for certificates but now think they disprove my theories.
I have the details from NSW transcriptions for a marriage in 1853 between Agnes McKenzie and John Davis, and a death in 1908 for Agnes Davis. The problem is that the death records say she was born in Dumfries, Scotland, and also, newspaper reports for her funeral mention a 'Mrs S.E. McKenzie', 'sister' and aunt to that family, wheras 'my' Agnes did not have a brother with those initials.
So, the point of this message is; if anyone is connected to Agnes & John Davis I am happy to pass on these details!
Of course, there remains the slim possibility that there is a connection; Agnes McKenzie's mother Catherine Burgess was born in Dumfries, and maybe there is another explanation for 'Mrs S.E.McKenzie'. (Agnes & John Davis had a daughter with these initials)
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 00:10 BST (UK) »

NSW BDM marriage
1036/1853 V18531036 39    MCKENZIE  Agnes  /   DAVIS  John   @  CJ

15816/1908    DAVIS  Agnes  parents names   MCKENZIE /        @ Waterloo

SMH 16 Oct 1908 p12
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28149145?
.......funeral notice for Agnes DAVIS....
Rookwood Cemetery from 51 Mitchell Road Alexandria....

NSW BDM birth
2646/1883 MCKENZIE  Gertrude H   parents Samuel E F /  Matilda  @  Sydney

death
21615/1927 MCKENZIE  Samuel E F  parents George / Helen  @ Newtown

Do you have a death certificate for Catherine WESTON, formerly McKENZIE nee BURGESS?

It would name her children.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply (Wivenhoe). I have the transcripts for the NSW BDM records you mentioned if anyone else out there can use them!
Thank you also for redirecting my focus back to Catherine Weston's death certificate (Victoria 1882), which I have. It states her children; Agnes 'deceased', Hugh, 44yrs, Edward, 42yrs, Kennith,40yrs, William, 33yrs, Cuthbert, 34 yrs and John, deceased.
So 'my' Agnes was deceased prior to 1882; rules out the Agnes Davis (m.s. McKenzie) that died in 1908.
I'll have to keep on digging!
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 02:49 BST (UK) »

You are researching the family of Catherine WESTON, formerly McKENZIE nee BURGESS...died 1882 Victoria?

Death certificate has daughter Agnes...deceased at 1882. The McKENZIE -DAVIS marriage, a possibility, is no longer relevant.....but of use to another researcher?

You are looking for Agnes....suggested by mother's death certificate.

Who is the informant for the death certificate.

Can you list all the information on this death certificate.

If husband Kenneth is not with family from ~1844...how did Catherine support her family for several years until 1853 marriage to John WESTON?

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 04:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again!
The informant is Kenneth, her son. He got his father's name wrong, which is surprising! He put 'Hugh', but it was Kenneth.
How Catherine supported her family before 1853 is a mystery, although she may have had help from her brother in law, Edward McKenzie who was a master mariner and probably reasonably well off.
The rest of the information:
Name of father: Burgess, Licenced victualler (nothing else) Informant; Kenneth McKenzie, son
Place of death; Garvoc Where & when buried, Terang July 8th 1882 Names of minister & witness, Where born; Dumfries How long in Australian colonies, 36 yrs Where and what age and to whom married; 1)Scotland 2) unknown 3) Hugh McKenzie; second marriage to John Weston in Sydney NSW 43 yrs Names of issue ( as stated in last message)
Note: the name of her first husband was kenneth, not Hugh! All the children's baptisms show Kenneth & Catherine and I have their marriage banns from Scotland (Kirkcudbright 1929)

Online jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi rdarby,

You have Agnes as born in Scotland and arriving in NSW in 1841, but there is a baptism on 20 Jan 1831 at St Andrews Scots Church, Cumberland, NSW for an Agnes McKenzie, d/o Kenneth McKenzie & Catherine Burgess (FHL Film Number 993971).

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Online jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 06:43 BST (UK) »
There is a burial also registered at St Andrews Scots Church for an Agnes McKenzie, age 23, in 1856.
Volume reference   V18563084 102

I'm not sure if you have ruled these out yet?

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 07:21 BST (UK) »
Empire 9 Apr 1852 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60129304?
....Agnes McKENZIE and brother Kenneth McKENZIE.....

Can you give the source of your family story please........Nova Scotia.........arrival...where?....1841....1846.....

Father Kenneth's job descriptions....where are you seeing this?

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
rdarby,
About Catherine. If her husband Kenneth McKENZIE whose death you have not located, was not around by 1844, then who was the father of William born 1849 , Cuthbert 1850 and John?

I have taken these birth dates from the ages given on the DC you have given.
(Unreliable documents ;D)

Kenneth junior the informant would however, know his own birth date  and probably those of his closest siblings.

Can you give the birth dates you have sighted please.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk