Author Topic: What happened to George Hale after 1881?  (Read 710 times)

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to George Hale after 1881?
« on: Tuesday 06 August 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anybody can help me try and figure out what happened to George Hale please.

We've been told since the late 19th century that the father of my great grandmother Eliza Hale was George, he's listed on her marriage certificate.

I have her birth certificate from April 1888 and no father is listed, she was illegitimate. Ancestry DNA tests and cousin matches have proven her biological father was actually a man called James Harrison.

The last document I have for George is the 1881 census in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire. He was living with wife Harriet (nee Seagrave, my great great grandmother) and children George Hale, 5 (born as Alfred George Hale in Burton), Mary Ann, 3 and Caroline, a newborn. After this census George just vanishes from the records.

He married Harriet 1876 in Burton, father is listed as Robert Hale. In the censuses, his place of birth is given as Shipton, Wiltshire.

He was baptised Alfred George Hail, 1850 in Newton Tony, Wiltshire to Robert and Louisa. Robert came from Shipton Bellinger, Hampshire (less than 5 miles from Newton Tony). In all the documents, George goes by his middle name.

In the 1891 census, Harriet and her children (including Eliza) are lodging with James Harrison in Burton. He is the head and single. Harriet is listed as married, so did she think George was still alive?

I have been unable to locate George in any censuses after 1881 or a death certificate. I have tried passenger lists too. There is a criminal record for a George Hale in 1888 in Staffordshire. This was for attempted carnal knowledge with a girl under 13. I have checked British Newspaper Archives but can't prove where this George was from.

I have tried various spellings of his surname including Hale/Hales/Hail/Hails. I am very interested to try and find out what happened to him and why Harriet ending up living and having children with James.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to George Hale after 1881?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
Don't suppose they are the same person are they?  George Hale/James Harrison.

Did James have a similar age/birthplace and does he appear before 1891 when George is around.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:39 BST (UK) »
No scrap that idea James is single and not George. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
My ancestors had Heale, Heal, Hale and Hales as spellings, so a couple more to try. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 19 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede,

It was definitely a good question to ask. James Harrison was born 1860 in Burton upon Trent and sadly ended up in a lunatic asylum and all but forgotten by my family. I have his birth certificate and censuses for 1861 and 1871. Can't find him in the 1881 census though for some reason.

It was only by doing a DNA test and having cousin matches who are related to James's mother and father, that I was able to prove the connection. I have his patient records and found two photographs of him, you can see a family resemblance to my relatives today.

Kindest regards,

ALewis

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanna52,

Thank you for suggesting the different surname variations. I will definitely keep those in mind when researching.

Kindest regards,

ALewis