Author Topic: Help please I would like to find out more about Robert Tubbs or Tubby  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please I would like to find out more about Robert Tubbs or Tubby
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 August 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help.
I think I've gone from knowing very little about Robert and his family to knowing quite a lot.
To summarise:
Robert Tubbs was born about 1772, based on his age at death. He may not have come from Norfolk at all but he was almost certainly from a coastal area (and probably from a seafaring family) and he became a seaman, probably at an early age.
1n 1799, aged about 27, he married Mary Chase in Great Yarmouth.
(Mary was born in Ormesby St Margaret in 1775, the daughter of Robert Chase and Jane Wacey)
By 1801 he had enlisted in the Royal Navy as a  quarter gunner on HMS Hindoostan.  His family were living in Caister next Yarmouth where 3 daughters were baptised, Mary and twins Jane and Elizabeth (who died soon after their birth.)
All the records except those of Caister name the family Tubbs, however,there were other families named Tubby in Caister so I imagine the parish clerk spelled Tubbs in the same way.
Robert moved ship in 1805 to HMS London then in 1809 to HMS Euralyus.  Therafter he was discharged as "unserviceable" (?) and died in Stoke Damerel, Plymouth in 1819.
By 1812, Robert's wife, Mary Chase and their daughter Mary Tubbs had moved to Plymouth, where a son, Robert Tubbs, was baptised in 1812.
Mary Tubbs the daughter married another sailor, John Dale (spelled Deal in the Plymouth records) in 1819, the year her father died.
The following year, the widowed Mary Tubbs married a shipwright Thomas Holbrook, but died 3 years later in 1823.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Hope and Karl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 20 03:09 BST (UK) »
I was about to post a question regarding Robert Tubbs and Mary Chase and I found this wonderful information! My husband, Karl, is a Great Great Grandson of Sarah Tubbs Dale Maynard. Daughter of Mary Ann Tubbs and John David Dale. JanFurness just wondering if you descend from Sarah Tubbs Dale as well?

Take care,

Hope

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Hope,
Nice to hear from you. My great great grandmother was Mary and Robert's eldest daughter, Ann White Dale. So we share Mary and Robert as our 3x great grandparents. I'm not sure what that makes us- 3rd or 4th cousins perhaps?
Best wishes, Jan
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline Hope and Karl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, nice to "meet" you. You and Karl are 3rd cousins then! He is first born here in the United States. We visited his sister who lives in England and other relatives a few years ago. We have to fly back soon.

I am so intrigued by your Ann White Dale! I can't seem to find where the name White fits in the family. Karl's grandfather, Thomas DALE Maynard was obviously named after his mother Sarah Tubbs Dale.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again, I wondered whether Ann White was the maiden name of John Dale's mother. Information from the muster books of H M Brig Martial in 1823 give his birth as about 1796 in Middlesex, England. There are a number of possible candidates, but I haven't been able to find any definite baptismal record for him, so I don't know the names of his parents. They seem to have used names from Mary's family, so perhaps some of the other names come from John's. They seemed to like the name Ann, their youngest daughter born 24 years after Ann White was called Anne Maria!
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex