Author Topic: Illegitimacy dilemma  (Read 1464 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Illegitimacy dilemma
« on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
My 2x gt grandmother had 6 illegitimate children; her ( I think, no other children found ) eldest daughter seems to be the only one with a connection to her father, I have all the proof., this is "my" line. I have all the other children, but just listed in my notes. I am going to add them to the tree, but I`m wondering how to do it.

I`ve done one, and entered his father as unknown + Margaret, should I enter the others as unknown 2, 3, etc.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimacy dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
I always leave the father's name blank ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
There are 5 unknown fathers, plus the one of my line. Margaret had a son who died as a baby, then another son, then 4 girls. My gt grandmother was the only one who didn`t live with her, I don`t know " why ". It is frustrating, not knowing.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 20:28 BST (UK) »

Or    " another unknown 1" to "another unknown 33" ?
Helps to keep track incase a real connection comes up.     

:D
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Just connect each one as a child of the mother, but do not add a father.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 14:51 BST (UK) »

Or    " another unknown 1" to "another unknown 33" ?
Helps to keep track incase a real connection comes up.     

:D
I`ve never mastered quotes either, so here goes ! It could have been any number of unknown fathers !!
The strange thing is that my gt grandmother lived with her father, at least at 1871 census. when he died, it was at her house. All the other children lived with Margaret.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 August 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
I have all the other children, but just listed in my notes. I am going to add them to the tree, but I`m wondering how to do it.

Do you use something like Family Historian or RootsMagic to store your tree?  If so, which one?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 August 19 12:48 BST (UK) »
At the moment I`m using the free version of MyHeritage.

( On my old pc I have a program call Family Tree Legends; it`s really basic but I prefer it, so sometime I`m going back to that. This company was taken over by MyHeritage, but some of the good parts were discarded. )

I`m just finalising this particular family before going back onto my old program.