Author Topic: Modern version of Crone/Croane?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Modern version of Crone/Croane?
« on: Thursday 08 August 19 04:14 BST (UK) »
What is the modern version of the Irish name Crone/Croane found in Co. Kerry?   I can't decide.  Is it Cronin or McCrohan?  They are different names, right?  Or is it a third name?

I can't trace the name because it appears too early in the record, and it is a maiden name.

Sometimes I see a husband and wife pair where one has each name, Crone and Cronin, which almost seems to suggest that they are different names.  But I also have seen the same thing with Crone and McCrohan.

The name Crone doesn't seem to appear on the 1901 census for Kerry, which suggests to me that it isn't spelled that way now.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Modern version of Crone/Croane?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 19 06:00 BST (UK) »

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
I'm definitely leaning towards Crohan/McCrohan. 

I tried to look at the land records, since I know what townland she came from, when she was married.  No dice.  No name like that in the place, though the nearest name seems to be Cronin.  One of the sponsors is named Cronin too, but I am still leaning towards McCrohan.  I think that is the more common one in the area vs. Crohan. 

I could see the "Mc" being taken up easily, like a lot of names that regained the "O" or lost it.

Offline pkkerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In the Killorglin area Crone is one of the names used to differentiate the many Sullivan families. I have Crone ancestors who show up in the parish registers as Crone, yet the same people show up in the Civil records as Sullivan. I hope this helps you.

Pat

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 19 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Pat.  That is very fascinating.  As it happens, it is actually in the Killorglin area, where I find the name.

Any clue, as to what might be its significance?

Also, in the Killorglin area, I have found the name Malachi which appears in the parish records, seemingly in order to differentiate people who have the name O'Brien.  I've supposed it might refer to people who shared a common grandfather named Malachi, but that is pure guesswork.  One man who knew this circle had the name Malachi O'Brien.  I've thought that he might be named after the theoretical grandfather from whom the name derives.

I've also noticed one or too other strange name substitutions in Killorglin, like Moana or Moany, seemingly for someone named Murphy.

I've read that in the Blasket Islands, different families with the same surname had a second name to help differentiate each family, which was derived from an illustrious ancestor.

Offline pkkerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've no idea where the name originated, I just know my grandmothers people were the Sullivan Crones from Ballyledder. Probably derives from an Irish word.
As to Malachi, I'd imagine there wasn't too many of that name around Killorglin or Beaufort, so his descendants used his name to mark them out.

I checked the Killorglin church records and they have loads of variants of Sullivan. I'll list them here, some of the spellings could have been transcribed wrongly.

Arcugh/Aharkugh
Aye
Baltriny/Baltinny
Balardus
Brack
Cuck
Dillagh
Girria
Gow
Gaunska
Liah
Quart
Rue/Roe
Vahig
Weaver

I only know a couple of these still in use today.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 19 04:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, so many!  That is remarkable.  And some still carry on with it!  I suppose it would be very useful over there with the name Sullivan.

I bet you "Crone" comes "St. Crohan."  That is to say, from someone named after the saint.  Why so many?  I can't answer that.

I'm not sure what to make of my Crone.  The townland has Sullivans, but they all look like Bracks on the tithes.

This is really fascinating.  I was looking at some of the other Sullivan nicknames listed here:
https://mykerryancestors.com/archives/3127

And I recognized one which I think possibly was used with another common surname: Gaunka/Gaunkagh/Gauncough.  I had thought it was a totally unique knickname, but this at least gives me a chance to figure out what it means.

Offline pkkerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
What townland was your Crone in?

Most of the Crones, that I know of, are within a couple of miles of each other.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
She was from Shonahiree (spelled many different ways.  (or at least I'm pretty sure that was the convention, to give the place where the bride was from.)  And she had all her children there.

Her name was Johanna Crone, and she married David Breen in 1814.  The births of their children are split between Killorglin Parish and Glenbeigh, but always the same townland.  No sponsors with the name though.

I did a search with "Crone" and "Killorglin" and it seems to bring up a lot of results: 1184.
But for neighboring Glenbeigh: 32
And for Killarney: 3

Brack is only 154 for Killorglin.  McCrohan is only 180.

Quite an interesting pattern.  I'm guessing it was the most common name on that list for Killorglin by quite a bit.