Author Topic: Lockharts of Castleblayney  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lockharts of Castleblayney
« on: Thursday 08 August 19 06:33 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of discovering the family of my great grandmother, Hannah Lockhart, born in Castleblayney about 1831 according to her marriage record, married in Liverpool in 1849 to Peter Dickson, emigrated to Williamstown in Victoria, then to Whanganui in New Zealand, died there in 1903 and was buried in the old cemetery.

I have found the following records online, which I believe are her younger siblings.
Elizabeth Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 27 Aug 1843, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate
Mary Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 18 Dec 1836, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate
Sarah Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 1840, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate

These are taken from Castleblaney Second Presbyterian Church Records, Research by Michael Anderson, Poyntzpass in a post I found on this forum. How can I find the earlier records as they do not seem to be online? We know of four other children.

I have found Robert Lockhart in Slater's Directory of Ireland in 1846 in Henry St, as a boot and shoe maker. That matches with the occupation of Hannah's father on her marriage record. It appears he died soon after, as the family is next found in Liverpool in the 1851 Census with Hannah Lockhart (Ligate) as a widow with Elizabeth named above and Ephraim. We also have found Robert Lockhart, Jr, as a boot maker in Liverpool.

I believe that Peter Dickson may have lived in Castleblayney for part of his life although he claimed to have been born in Greenock, Scotland. His mother died when he was young, and his father remarried and lived in Glasgow with his new family. I have found James and David Dickson in Castleblayney. They are both family names. Moreover both his wives came from Ireland. I believe I have found the father of his first wife there too, under Robert Lowey. Her signature is hard to read, and the name is given as Lowry or Lawry on transcripts. How can I find out more about these men apart from their listing in Slater's Directory?

I DNA match to a very large number of people descended from people from the county of Armagh including names of Greer and Boyd. It's a matter of trying to fit the jigsaw together.

And we have found a family in Kirkcudbrighshire with the name Ephraim Lockhart running for several generations. We need to know whether this is connected as well.

Any help from people with better knowledge of Irish records will be welcome. I have used quite a few sources already. I think this information is too early for Emerald Ancestors. Many thanks.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lockharts of Castleblayney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 19 09:10 BST (UK) »

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information about Robert. I will look for the others too.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 19 10:19 BST (UK) »

These are taken from Castleblaney Second Presbyterian Church Records, Research by Michael Anderson, Poyntzpass in a post I found on this forum. How can I find the earlier records as they do not seem to be online? We know of four other children.

Castleblaney 2nd Presbyterian’s baptism records start in 1820, marriages in 1845. There is a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.

If your family were Presbyterians in Ireland, and with a Scottish surname like Lockhart, then that indicates that it's highly likely they originated in Scotland, probably moving to Ireland in the 1600s. Consequently DNA match with places such as Kirkcudbright are not surprising.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 19 10:37 BST (UK) »

I have found the following records online, which I believe are her younger siblings.
Elizabeth Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 27 Aug 1843, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate
Mary Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 18 Dec 1836, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate
Sarah Lockhart, Castleblaney, Muckno, b. 1840, d/o  of Robert Lockhart & Hanna Ligate

These are taken from Castleblaney Second Presbyterian Church Records, Research by Michael Anderson, Poyntzpass in a post I found on this forum. 

Any help from people with better knowledge of Irish records will be welcome. I have used quite a few sources already. I think this information is too early for Emerald Ancestors. Many thanks.

This research?

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~lboyd/BoydDataBase10262000.htm

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
hallmark
Yes, I found those records in the Boyd database. There is intermarriage with Lockharts.  I am looking for any DNA matches with that name.

Elwyn Soutter,
I am unable to go to the Belfast record office as I live in Invercargill in New Zealand, about as far away as you can get.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:42 BST (UK) »

Elwyn Soutter,
I am unable to go to the Belfast record office as I live in Invercargill in New Zealand, about as far away as you can get.

Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 August 19 16:34 BST (UK) »

Further to dathai's discovery in reply #1, the townland of Onomy is on the eastern edge of the town of Castleblaney. A lovely scenic area!

Onomy townland, Muckno Civil Parish, Barony of Cremorne, Co. Monaghan.
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/cremorne/muckno/onomy/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 August 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help so far. In Pigot's directroy 1824 I have found two more Lockharts, John and James. The latter is also a boot maker. Hannah Dickson (Lockhart) named her first two sons, John Henry and James. I'm guessing probably father or brother. Is there anywhere that I can find death information during this period?

To add to this, I DNA match to a person still in Ireland who descends from a John Lockhart born 1865 in Markethill, Mullaghbrack, Armagh, Ireland. His father was George born in 1824 to 1826 (from his death and census records), and he resided on Mar 31 1901 in Lurgaboy, Hamiltons Bawn, Armagh, Ireland. His grandfather was George born about 1795 from his death record. He could be a brother or first cousin of my 2xgreat grandfather Robert Lockhart. George was another name used by Hannah Dickson. I need to try and find records for the parents of both George and Robert.

Thank you so much. Lockhart is my middle name, so I would like to find as much as I can.