Author Topic: Baptisms in the coastal villages.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptisms in the coastal villages.
« on: Thursday 08 August 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have a set of ancestors; William Mair and Elizabeth Shepherd who lived in Gardenstown, Gamrie from approx 1765. I believe they are they William Moir and Elizabeth Shepherd that married in Rathen, Aberdeenshire in 1764.

They had their daughters baptised;

Margaret 1767
Jean  1769
Joan 1770
Isobel 1772
Anne 1775
Elizabeth 1777
Christian 1780

All in Gardenstown, Gamrie

They either didn't have any boys, or they did and didn't baptise them? Was there ever anything in small NE communities where girls had to be baptised and with boys it didn't matter so much?

I don't know if this family were fishers or not, but I know Gardenstown was populated mostly with them and that Mair was a fisher name. Their daughter Elizabeth died in 1858 and it stated on her DC that her father was "_____ Mair.. a weaver". However true that is I don't know.
It appears Elizabeth is the only one of the children that died post civil reg.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms in the coastal villages.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 19 21:50 BST (UK) »
Looks to me as if the girls' baptism dates were close enough together for there not to be any gaps for boys between them, so maybe they only had girls.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Looks to me as if the girls' baptism dates were close enough together for there not to be any gaps for boys between them, so maybe they only had girls.

Most likely yes. If they are the couple that married in Rathen, ABN in 1764, I suppose they had one or two prior to having Margaret in 1767 in possibly Rathen prior to moving to Gardenstown. That's if the OPR marriage is them of course.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mair/Shepherd
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite interested in this couple as well.
My James Innes m 1797 Huntly ABD, Isabel Mair.
Issue:
William 1798 Cobairdy Forgue ABD, m 4 Jan 1819 Cullen BAN, Ann Watt
Alexander 1801 Ordiquhill BAN, m 18 Nov 1826 Cullen BAN, Isabel Ross b abt 1795 Bishopmill MOR
Isabel 1807 Ordiquhill BAN, m 1 Feb 1829 King Edward ABD/15 Feb 1829 Gamrie BAN, Wm McDonald.

I have often thought that William Mair and Elizabeth Shepherd were parents of my Isabel but have never managed to get anywhere with it. Witnesses to the births of the seven daughters: Alex Spence, James Manson, Alex Farquhar, John Rainy [Rennie?],  James Mair, James Walker, John Henderson, James Andrew, John Walker, and William Walker. None of them mean anything, yet.

James Innes and Isabel Mair's first son was named William, perhaps taking precedence over James' father because William Mair had no sons or, James Innes' father was also a William... just a thought.

I also note that Isabel Innes had her marriage to William McDonald registered in Gamrie as well as King Edward...another thought.

Someone has a tree up at Ancestry where they have made the jump and have posted my Isabel Mair m James Innes as daughter of William Mair and Elizabeth Shepherd. Offhand, I don't recall seeing any proof of the connection.

1841 Huntly ABD census has Isabella Innes, pauper, 70 yrs [b abt 1767-1771], b outside of ABD. This may be Isabel Mair Innes but again, I haven't located her death or any way of verifying her.

Have you had a DNA test done? A descendant of Isabel Innes b 1807 and Wm McDonald has recently compared their DNA to mine and we have managed to confirm our connection and finally put to bed Isabel Innes McDonald's erroneous death certificate where her parents are listed as "Wm" Innes and Isabel "Horn". Perhaps we can do something similar...although I'm a complete DNA idiot (the cousin compared our results - perhaps he'll have a look at ours as it would solve the same question for him).

Pat Innes

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 December 19 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat.

I have had my DNA tested with Ancestry and Living DNA. I have uploaded both to GEDmatch and my Ancestry kit to My Heritage and FTDNA. I will send you a private message with the details.

I'll confess I haven't done any research into the siblings of my Elizabeth Mair (potential sister to your Isabel Mair) other than one of her sisters, Margaret who appeared to marry a James Garvock.

Will send a message with the details of the DNA tests.

Fingers crossed we are a match and you can get the verification you need.

EDIT: I have recently sent a sample to 23&Me, so it will be a few weeks before that is ready.

EDIT 2: Sorry, I forgot to include who the witnesses were on the baptism of my Elizabeth Mair. She was born 1777, Gardenstown, Gamrie. The witnessess were John Walker and James Andrew, both Gardenstown. This may be significant going by the names of the witnesses of your Isabel's children?

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 December 19 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Cool.  8) The witnesses I mentioned were the Mair witnesses - yours, all in a lump. Mr Spence appears quite often if I remember correctly as do various Walkers.
Now that you mention it though, witnesses to my Innes/Mair births:
William - none
Alexander - Alex Sim and Alex Watt
Isabel - Isabel Harper Isabel Innes.

I have my results along with my paternal uncle up at Gedmatch. The cousin does too.
I hope this works out - crossing my fingers now.

Pat