Author Topic: Who is Salina Shaw?  (Read 655 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is Salina Shaw?
« on: Friday 09 August 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
Salina Shaw married Samuel John Lindsay 21 Dec 1916 in Blenheim Ontario. She gave as her parents John Shaw and Violetty Maynard. The 1921 census shows Salina Lindsay being born 1898. I can find no birth reg for a Salina Shaw nor a marriage for John Shaw and Violetty Maynard nor doed Salina Shaw show up in 1901 census.
I have found a Violetta/Viloet/Violetty Maynard in 1881/91 and 1901 census and a marriage in 1904 to Byron Grant Harris. The 1901 census for Harwich Twp in Kent county is poorly written and poorly transcribed. There is a female Maynard born 30 Jun 1898 whois shwon as Gol?/Gal. I think this isSalina and if relationships can be believed is a sister to Violetty. I can not find any birth reg for any of the children shown in 1901

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Salina Shaw?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
1911 census

Barney Harris 27
Violetta Harris 32
Salina Harris 13 daughter

1911; Census Place: 9 - Harwich, Kent West, Ontario; Page: 6; Family No: 63

An Ancestry tree has a note about the family , putting forward the theory that Salina , and Annie B ( listed as Amy B Maynard in 1901 ) are both illegitimate daughters of Violetta Maynard. The owner notes that Salina "Shaw" was witness to the marriage of Annie Bernice to George Ezra Murphy in 1916 , and that they were witnesses to her own marriage to Samuel John Lindsay.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
1901 census
Name:            Galma Maynard [Salina Maynard]
Birth Day:    30 Jan
Birth Year:    1898
Birthplace:    Ontario
Relation:    Daughter
Father's name:    Maretta Maynard
Mother's name:    Amus M Maynard
Racial or Tribal Origin:    English
Nationality:    Canadian
Religion:    Methodist
Province:    Ontario
District:    Kent
District Number:    76
Sub-District:    Harwich
Sub-District Number:    D-5
Maretta Maynard    55 (Sure these 2 are mixed up)
Amus M Maynard    46
George H Maynard    27
Maudie Maynard      26
Viollethy Maynard    32
William Maynard     20
Perceval Maynard    12
Washington Maynard    10
James A. Maynard    9
John B. Maynard    9
Melvin Maynard      8
Arlo Maynard            4
Galma Maynard       3 (Salina Maynard) B: 1898
Amy B. Maynard    1

Sorry to poke as I have no idea on Canadian folk - but if no marriage was found is there any way this census could relate as we have a Viollethy here within the family names as Galma as later Salina Maynard B: 1898 and also the Kent area of Ontario - Seamus is an old name for James - could John and James be brothers . . .

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
1911 census

Barney Harris 27
Violetta Harris 32
Salina Harris 13 daughter

1911; Census Place: 9 - Harwich, Kent West, Ontario; Page: 6; Family No: 63

An Ancestry tree has a note about the family , putting forward the theory that Salina , and Annie B ( listed as Amy B Maynard in 1901 ) are both illegitimate daughters of Violetta Maynard. The owner notes that Salina "Shaw" was witness to the marriage of Annie Bernice to George Ezra Murphy in 1916 , and that they were witnesses to her own marriage to Samuel John Lindsay.
I would agree with that theory. I was thinking along those lines myself although there is no way to prove it. I find it somewhat amazing that a family that large that there are no birth registrations.

Ed
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
The family were Methodists according to the census posted above. I wonder if this note might explain why there are no apparent birth registrations, as in they took the baptism to be registration? It's from a different area in Ontario but should apply elsewhere.

https://ogs.on.ca/shop/wesleyan-methodist-baptismal-register-renfrew-county-1830-1895/

This record set is from a different area than above and is indexed.....a few older Maynard records within.

http://bowergenealogy.ca/resources/methodist/index.html

Anyway, food for thought.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 August 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
Well, it seems the father appears to have known about official birth registration. He personally registered his son Lewellyn in 1881. His name on that record and on son Washington's marriage cert is given as Man(n)illa and mother's name Anna/Annie.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 August 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB. Maybe they could not be bothered. No penalty for failure to register.

Ed
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 August 19 04:45 BST (UK) »
1901 census
Name:            Galma Maynard [Salina Maynard]
Birth Day:    30 Jan
Birth Year:    1898
Birthplace:    Ontario
Relation:    Daughter
Father's name:    Maretta Maynard
Mother's name:    Amus M Maynard
Racial or Tribal Origin:    English
Nationality:    Canadian
Religion:    Methodist
Province:    Ontario
District:    Kent
District Number:    76
Sub-District:    Harwich
Sub-District Number:    D-5
Maretta Maynard    55 (Sure these 2 are mixed up)
Amus M Maynard    46
George H Maynard    27
Maudie Maynard      26
Viollethy Maynard    32 Was Viollethy Salina's mother . . .
William Maynard     20
Perceval Maynard    12
Washington Maynard    10
James A. Maynard    9
John B. Maynard    9
Melvin Maynard      8
Arlo Maynard            4
Galma Maynard       3 (Salina Maynard) B: 1898
Amy B. Maynard    1

Sorry to poke as I have no idea on Canadian folk - but if no marriage was found is there any way this census could relate as we have a Viollethy here within the family names as Galma as up later as Salina Maynard B: 1898 and also the Kent area of Ontario

Salina Shaw married Samuel John Lindsay 21 Dec 1916 in Blenheim Ontario. She gave as her parents John Shaw and Violetty Maynard. The 1921 census shows Salina Lindsay being born 1898. I can find no birth reg for a Salina Shaw nor a marriage for John Shaw and Violetty Maynard nor doed Salina Shaw show up in 1901 census.
I have found a Violetta/Viloet/Violetty Maynard in 1881/91 and 1901 census and a marriage in 1904 to Byron Grant Harris. The 1901 census for Harwich Twp in Kent county is poorly written and poorly transcribed. There is a female Maynard born 30 Jun 1898 who is shown as Gol?/Gal. I think this is Salina and if relationships can be believed is a sister to Violetty. I can not find any birth reg for any of the children shown in 1901

Could the census be wrong "Volliethy" was 32 at the time of 1901 census and Salina 3 years old making "Volliethy" 29 years at the time of Salina's birth - it is not uncommon if a daughter had a child out of wedlock for the parents to pass this child off as their own - she may at an older age have been explained this and her father may well be a John Shaw whose name she took on at an older age but was never on record - it was only if a child was unsupported that the church or court would have persued the father for support money for the child and if Salina was under the care of her possible grandparents acting as parents there would have been no need for this - as if this Salina born 1898 is the correct one then her parents would have been Amus and Marette Maynard - if for any reason John Shaw was the father who bour a child out of wedlock then I am sure he would be found possible within the same area and possible the same age range in relation to "Volliethy" who was born 1869 - find the John Shaw and you find the "Daddy" . . .

"Gawd forbid if I am on an outsider here - but here we have a John Shaw:

Name:            John Herbert Morris Shaw
Birth Date:    17 Nov 1859
Birth Place:    Guelph
Baptism Date:    22 Jan 1860
Baptism Place:    Guelph, Wellington Co.
Father:            Robert Shaw
Mother:            Selina
Residence:    Guelph

Was the name change from Galma to Salina actually any reference to her possible true grandmother's name Selina Shaw on her father's John Shaw's side . . .

I love outsiders me . . . ; )

For reference only . . .
It wasn't uncommon to only baptize or christen just the first son as this child was seen as the most important - sometimes more were done but then after that they plain could not be bothered or could not afford it - also I know with Catholics but not sure on Methodists it was not uncommon to roll all the children into one and have them all done at once - this could involve the children being as old as 18 to whoever the youngest was - so when looking for a Baptism or Christening you could well have to look to who was the youngest and not who was the oldest which might go to show why no christenings found - you can imagine how this confused things as baptism was sometimes the only way you got your children on record - it was up to the priest if he wanted to put the effort in ageing the children to give some kind of indication to birth year - but sometimes that was often well out depending on the size of the child as often their parents did not know the year of their birth - also was this an issue of a cross marriage of religions - if so and the Catholic crossed with a Methodist the marriage and the children would not be recognized by the Catholic church - so no marriage would be found or the children on any Catholic records - Catholics usually baptized the very same day of the childs birth if the parents attended church that day as this was done in front of the congregation as a matter of fact thing or very soon after - no booking was required you just turned up - as to all other religions it can be anywhere up to 3 months or more and was usually booked with the Godparents present - I would check on the original census again as one of the questions could be whether that person could read or write - if the answer was no - then they seldom had any understanding too registering the births . . .