Author Topic: Walter ROBB and Marion YOUNG Peebleshire/Lanarkshire  (Read 1483 times)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter ROBB and Marion YOUNG Peebleshire/Lanarkshire
« on: Saturday 10 August 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with further information on my 4th great grandparents, Walter ROBB and Marion YOUNG who married 20 June 1788 in Skirling, Peebleshire, Scotland.

I have details of six of their children: Walter born 1789, Christian 1792, James Wilson 1795, George Kello 1797, William 1799 and John 1702.

In particular I am curious to see where my 3rd great grandfather, George Kello ROBB born 1797 Roberton, Lanarkshire got his middle name from.

There are a number of family trees on ancestry that suggest his parents are David Young and Bethea Somervill, but neither of these names come up in any of our families.

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if their marriage record can be accessed and hopefully their father's names recorded. I'm fairly new to scottish family research so no idea if this is possible.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in anticipation,

Amanda, (Melbourne, Australia)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter ROBB and Marion YOUNG Peebleshire/Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 19 08:10 BST (UK) »

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if their marriage record can be accessed and hopefully their father's names recorded. I'm fairly new to scottish family research so no idea if this is possible.

Have you been using scotlandspeople for your research?

Added:  Sorry, which marriage?

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks chempat for replying. No, I haven't used scotlandspeople yet - I'll give that a go. Currently I use ancestry and findmypast as 95% of my family are English, hence my poor knowledge of Scottish ancestry.

I was hoping there might be further information of Walter ROBB's and Marion YOUNG's marriage. For example, parents or at least father recorded.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 August 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

Official Scottish registration of BMDs began in 1855. Before this year, you are reliant on parish register entries which on average, if you find an entry, will often be no more than a one line mention (entries were non standard, so you don't know what shows until you look at the image on Scotlands People). You very seldom find anything of bride or groom's parents. If you were to, likely only for bride. Did Walter and Marion die before 1855?

Have you found them in the early censuses?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks chempat for replying. No, I haven't used scotlandspeople yet - I'll give that a go. Currently I use ancestry and findmypast as 95% of my family are English, hence my poor knowledge of Scottish ancestry.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I see that Walter Robb, son of David Robb and Bethea Somerville was baptised in Glasgow in 1768, so he would have been old enough to marry in 1788, but as none of their children was named either David or Bethea, it is unlikely that these were his parents.

It looks to me as if someone has looked for a possible candidate, found the one born in Glasgow in  1768, and assumed that because there is only one recorded anywhere near-ish, he has to be the right one, and various other people have just copied that incorrect tree without bothering to check.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaL,

I'm looking at Scotlands People now and found the entry for their marriage. Interestingly, the other entry is their son in laws parents ...

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
If none of their children was named either David or Bethea, it is unlikely that these were Marion's parents.

Thanks Forfarian. That's my thoughts exactly.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:17 BST (UK) »
With first born called Walter, wonder about this earlier marriage in the same area for Walter's parents, from Family Search www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYSR-TB3

It is just a guess, with the lack of anything of substance really  :-\

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
I really appreciate your help MonicaL - this couple is doing my head in :/

It certainly fits, and I'd be 100% sure if his parents were Walter ROBB and Marion STEDMAN not PENMAN so I'll cross my fingers and look it up as perhaps it might be a transcription error haha. (Walter and Marion had a grand daughter Margaret Stedman ROBB born 1840 Dalkeith - my 2nd great grandmother).