Author Topic: Edwin William Ryan born 1914 Auckland (linked to Sidney Rowe?)and brother Winton  (Read 9407 times)

Offline PatsyAnnKelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin William Ryan born 1914 Auckland (linked to Sidney Rowe?)and brother Winton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Janette
Thank you for that information.
My only interest in the reference to Princes Street, whichever one, is that Daniel Ryan seemed ,from the title of the Archway archives record, to have discharged a mortgage on  it sometime before 1937. My interest is that the Daniel Ryan concerned  is said to be a butcher and was of Grey Lynn , tying him back  to the area of the address on his WW1  record and his Voters List entry along with then wife Violet ( and presumably her sons Winton and Edwin) in 1919. That information had been kindly provided here on Rootschat .
PatsyAnn

Offline PatsyAnnKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin William Ryan born 1914 Auckland (linked to Sidney Rowe?)and brother Winton
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan  yes i assumed that it was a loan or mortgage of that sort. I would really appreciate your help when you are at the archives and any information you may find,Thank you so much.
I seem to have seen references to Onehunga amongst the various documents I've seen related to this family so would imagine that the Princes Street concerned is possibly that one.
Thanks again
PatsyAnn

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:45 BST (UK) »
....    My interest is that the Daniel Ryan concerned  is said to be a butcher and was of Grey Lynn , tying him back  to the area of the address on his WW1  record and his Voters List entry along with then wife Violet ( and presumably her sons Winton and Edwin) in 1919. That information had been kindly provided here on Rootschat .
PatsyAnn

1919 Violet Sweet Ryan and Daniel Ryan, 46 Commercial Road, Grey Lynn, Auckland.
Daniel is a Saddler

1928 Violet Sweet Ryan, married, 26 Graham Street, Auckland Central.  No Daniel.

^^    Is this the (electoral) information you are referring to ? 

~  Lu

Offline PatsyAnnKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 August 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Lucy. Info kindly provided by Mckha
Patsy

Offline PatsyAnnKelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 August 19 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan. I haven't seen his probate record as am in UK but will look on the Family Search site. Coincidentally I looked again at the military records for Sydney Rowe who lived at various addresses including in Onehunga and I found on one document (58) details of his next of kin, Violet and several addresses crossed out. The last written and presumably the latest one was 5 Princes Street Auckland. Daniel Ryan/Rayan mortgage was for Princes Street. The plot thickens :)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 August 19 01:10 BST (UK) »
Yes Lucy. Info kindly provided by Mckha
Patsy

But one Daniel RYAN is a "saddler", and the other you've mentioned was a "butcher" ??

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 August 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello PatsyAnn

PS Have you looked into the probate of a Daniel Ryan, Sadler, Papakura [ R21453910 ] which can be viewed on line on a family history site. ?

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=21453910

For elimination :   

The above-mentioned Daniel RYAN (Saddler) is not the man who married Violet Sweet ROWE (or TURNER) :   Edited to add:   This probate is dated 1922 -  so Violet would hardly be divorcing this man in 1926 as was mentioned earlier. 

The Probate file relates to a Daniel RYAN who was a saddler formerly resident for a time at Papakura, Auckland, New Zealand, but who died as the result of an accident, in the state of Victoria, Australia in December 1914.   This man had married a Margaret SLOAN (SLOANE) - she died in NZ in 1909.

An Obituary for this Daniel RYAN was published in a New Zealand newspaper >
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PWT19150105.2.16

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 August 19 03:17 BST (UK) »

....    The butchers connection might spark a clue or memory? A Daniel Ryan died 1945 and is buried in Otahuhu Public cemetery. Perhaps it is him.
Thanks
PatsyAnn

For elimination  :   

Daniel RYAN (butcher)  ... died 1945 buried at Otahuhu Cemetery ... husband of late Bessie Maria ...

Death Notice >
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19450924.2.2.6

Please note:   This Daniel RYAN and wife Bessie Maria, appear on Auckland electoral rolls from 1905:
>    Grey Lynn electorate 1905-06 and 1911 - at Princess* Street  - occ:  butcher :  [* E/roll shows spelling of street as "Princess" -- later electoral roll listings have the spelling as "Princes" ]

>    1919 - Manukau electorate --  RYAN - Daniel (butcher) and Bessie Maria (married) both at Panmure Road, Otahuhu

>    1928 - Manukau electorate - both at Panmure Road

~ Lu

Edited to add 1919:

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 August 19 03:35 BST (UK) »

On the Archives website I found reference to a mortgage discharge between Daniel Ryan of Grey Lynn and Government officer of some sort ( records relate to time slots between 1907 and 1938). The property in question was in Princes Street Auckland. Daniel was described as a butcher.
I looked up Daniel Ryan Butchers Grey Lynn on Google and there is still a butchers shop at 531  Great North Road address. I feel certain this is the correct Daniel Ryan because of the Grey Lynn connection between him and the address Sydney gave for Violet. Perhaps love blossomed over the lamb chops? Not long-lived though as they divorced in 1926
Thanks
PatsyAnn

Just in case you are not aware, it was Violet Sweet RYAN who instigated divorce proceedings in 1926 , on the grounds that Daniel RYAN had deserted her :

This notice appeared in newspapers >

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19260426.2.170.5

~  Lu