Author Topic: Ancestry DNA 4th cousin.  (Read 4863 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA 4th cousin.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 August 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.

Could I just ask this.Say,for example,i had a match of 19 Cm over 1 segment with a 20 year old man.I manage to get back to his 4 times and 5 times great grandfather.If I came down another of his 4x great grandfathers childrens line to a grandson,is it feasible with a reading that size that the grandson could be my grandads father?
Or back to the 20 year olds 5xgreat grandfather,then back down a line to say a great grandson,is that feasible.Or would I expect to see a much higher number than this?

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 05 September 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
By some miracle ive managed to upload to Gedcom but I haven't a clue how to navigate it yet.I have clicked onto one of the comparison options and it shows a very long list of people with their reference numbers and emails,plus cMS ,segments etc.On it is one of my Romany matches,not far from the top,so he must have uploaded too.Whats intresting is on Ancestry he shows a figure of 23 Cms over 1 segment,but on Gedcom its 37 Cms.The whole figures are:

Largest seg 29.5  37Cm overlap 243496

I dont understand any of that,apart from perhaps the Cms.Could anyone explain it for me please?

Another intresting thing,a man with whom I know I share a gg grandfather showed I think it was something like 40Cms over several segments on Ancestry,but on here it this:

Largest seg 29.0  29.0 Cms overlap 187740

Thanks

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 September 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
By some miracle ive managed to upload to Gedcom but I haven't a clue how to navigate it yet.I have clicked onto one of the comparison options and it shows a very long list of people with their reference numbers and emails,plus cMS ,segments etc.On it is one of my Romany matches,not far from the top,so he must have uploaded too.Whats intresting is on Ancestry he shows a figure of 23 Cms over 1 segment,but on Gedcom its 37 Cms.The whole figures are:

Largest seg 29.5  37Cm overlap 243496

I dont understand any of that,apart from perhaps the Cms.Could anyone explain it for me please?

Another intresting thing,a man with whom I know I share a gg grandfather showed I think it was something like 40Cms over several segments on Ancestry,but on here it this:

Largest seg 29.0  29.0 Cms overlap 187740

Thanks
Well done :). It sounds like it has worked fine if you can see matches. It is normal for the centimorgan links to vary on different sites, they use different algorithms to work it out, generally Ancestry's figures can be lower, especially if the common ancestors were from an endogamous population because the Ancestry timber algorithm tries to filter these out, mainly for populations like Ashkenazi jews or Amish, but it may also effect a rural family who lived in the same area for hundreds of years and married the same families or other minority religious or ethnic groups.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:47 BST (UK) »
Well I think I spoke too soon as its gone wrong.I cant get on Gedcom by using this link,it just stays blank.When I put it in the search engine it says this page isn't working error 503.Site wont allow them to show me a description not being allowed by websites robots.text file.Does anyone know what that means please?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
Well I think I spoke too soon as its gone wrong.I cant get on Gedcom by using this link,it just stays blank.When I put it in the search engine it says this page isn't working error 503.Site wont allow them to show me a description not being allowed by websites robots.text file.Does anyone know what that means please?
The website is just down, in fact Ancestry is also down for me too ::).

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks I did wonder if it was widespread,im ok with Ancestry.