Author Topic: Hyman ZOGOTT Rezitche Vitebsk Russia  (Read 863 times)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hyman ZOGOTT Rezitche Vitebsk Russia
« on: Monday 12 August 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
Russia is a totally unknown research area for me. So if I spelled it wrong or there is more than one of what I have written, bear with me. I am trying to find the parents of Hyman Zogott. I can track him fairly well once he's in the USA. Born 1887. That's all I have. Immigrated to the US on ship WESTERLAND in 1907. Arrival in Philadelphia. Occupation Grocer. Wife named Jennie. I found their graves in Delaware.  ;)
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
Re: Hyman ZOGOTT Rezitche Vitebsk Russia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
I will try to correct your data a little. Certainly it is about the village of Rzeczyca (Rechitsa) in Vitebsk region in Belarus. I am still wondering about this strange name - Hyman Zogott. Do you have a document somewhere that confirms the spelling of this name?
I know Russian and I often search for ancestors in Lithuania and Belarus. However, I need to know what his name was correctly.We only know that he was born in 1887. You will have to check it somehow, but first I need to know what his name was.
Or was he a Jew? His profession indicates this.
Jozef
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 August 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
He was Jewish and according to his immigration record the surname was spelled Zogett but once they were in America it was spelled Zogott.  ???  His immigration record has his date of birth as April 10, 1887 and his occupation was grocer. He was married at the time. Wife's maiden name was Galansky. His first home was in Delaware and later they moved to Philadelphia.  If you have ancestry.com you can see his entry record and declaration of intent. There is also a WW1 service record on the same sight.
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 August 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
With all due respect to the previous poster, for the place of origin I would be looking at Rezekne, now in Latvia (not Belarus). The Russian name is Rezhitsa. It had a huge Jewish population, and a considerable exodus to the UK and the US in the early 1900s.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/rezekne

You may want to join JewishGen (free) and search their databases. According to their Latvia database, there were a few ZOGOT/ZOGOD (etc., with variants) in Rezekne and nearby Varaklani. When searching you will need to be very flexible with the surname spelling.
https://www.jewishgen.org/

For readers of Russian/Hebrew, JewishGen’s Latvian database also links to the vital records at the Latvian State Archives, which have been digitised at Raduraksti.
http://www.lvva-raduraksti.lv/en.html

You can also use JewishGen's FamilyFinder, to see if anyone else in the US is searching the same surname, which may help.

Have you got his father’s name? It should be on his gravestone, assuming he had a Jewish burial.

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 August 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
He was Jewish and according to his immigration record the surname was spelled Zogett but once they were in America it was spelled Zogott.  ???  His immigration record has his date of birth as April 10, 1887 and his occupation was grocer. He was married at the time. Wife's maiden name was Galansky. His first home was in Delaware and later they moved to Philadelphia.  If you have ancestry.com you can see his entry record and declaration of intent. There is also a WW1 service record on the same sight.

I found this information on familysearch.org about H. Zogott which died 15.12.1939 in Jewish Community Cemetery, Beth Shalom Section, Wilmington, Delaware. Do you saw this information?

On familysearch I found two records about this family. Unfortunately, I found nothing under the date of April 10, 1887. Was she uncertain? So I found the birth record of Abel Leizer Zagord born on April 26, 1887.

The second record is the birth certificate of the daughter Shein and Rachel Zagord - named Shleita, who was born on December 14, 1887.

Here is the main link to birth records in Rezekne (Latvia) from 1887. Maybe I missed something - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C37M-992M-F?i=63&cat=3047644

Jozef
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.