Author Topic: Differing ages in 1861,1871 and 1891 census  (Read 1980 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Differing ages in 1861,1871 and 1891 census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 12:09 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble getting birth/marriage places correct for my great great grandmother. I have a Catherine Flynn born in Mallow, in 1830, married to Michael Blessington in 1851.

Do you mean Mayo rather than Mallow?
I see some trees have her baptism in Mayo with the parents you mention.

Does she give Mayo as her birthplace at any time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
According to Yorkshire BMD, there was a marriage between Catherine Flynn and Stephen Douglas in 1853 in a Registered Building in the Otley District.

This could have been either the Register Office or a non-conformist place of worship. I don't have time to check the online non-conformist records at present - maybe someone else could?

I've just had a quick look and can't seem them in non-conformist records. It looks as though this couple may have had a daughter Margaret whose birth was registered in Sep qtr 1854 in the Otley district.

However, I haven't been able to find any more - no clear sightings of any of them in the 1861 or 1871 census or in death indexes. Maybe they emigrated?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble getting birth/marriage places correct for my great great grandmother. I have a Catherine Flynn born in Mallow, in 1830, married to Michael Blessington in 1851.

Do you mean Mayo rather than Mallow?
I see some trees have her baptism in Mayo with the parents you mention.

Does she give Mayo as her birthplace at any time?

Thanks everyone for replying. I have an address at Castle Road, Mayo and a birthdate of 10th November 1830. Another tree had her born in Mallow. As I was becoming more unsure whether my Catherine was the correct one, I checked out other trees, but it seems that this IS my Catherine although obviously the ages don't tally, from marriage to death, but she did marry Michael Blessington, and the births of their children are all correct.
The Otley marriage is obviously incorrect, but it did throw me for a while.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
The baptisms of Catherine and siblings show Castle Road, Ballina.

However, unless you have confirmation from census and other records that it is the same Catherine, it would be best to still keep a note of caution at the moment.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
According to Yorkshire BMD, there was a marriage between Catherine Flynn and Stephen Douglas in 1853 in a Registered Building in the Otley District.

This could have been either the Register Office or a non-conformist place of worship. I don't have time to check the online non-conformist records at present - maybe someone else could?

I've just had a quick look and can't seem them in non-conformist records. It looks as though this couple may have had a daughter Margaret whose birth was registered in Sep qtr 1854 in the Otley district.

However, I haven't been able to find any more - no clear sightings of any of them in the 1861 or 1871 census or in death indexes. Maybe they emigrated?
I have now confirmed that this isn't my Catherine Flynn, she was married to Michael Blessington in Bradford. Thank you for checking for me, much appreciated.

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
The baptisms of Catherine and siblings show Castle Road, Ballina.

However, unless you have confirmation from census and other records that it is the same Catherine, it would be best to still keep a note of caution at the moment.

This is my Catherine, though I haven't seen any baptism records. She was born in Castle Road, Co. Mayo, though I now know it was in the town of Ballina. Thank you.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I just wasn't sure that so late into the 1880's that people would be unsure...or as Craclyn said...lie about their ages.

It does happen. I have a great grandfather who dropped onto the planet in his mid-40s (possible name change) then gives a different age on each of the 5 subsequent documents for him. His reported birth year covers a span of 12 years since he lopped off 5 years each time he got married to be closer to the age of his bride  :)

I have a similar one whose wives were both more than a decade younger than him so he adjusted his age on records.  Meanwhile, back home in Mayo, the ageing rates of his siblings speeded up. They were 20 years older in 1911 than they had been in 1901.  ???  1911 census has him appearing to be younger than his younger sister.  Calculating their mother's year of birth from her age on 1901 census results in a marriage age for her of around 10, which is obviously wrong. Ageing rate of eldest sister slowed between 1911 and her death 30 years later -  age recorded at her death registration was at least 15 years less than her real age (whatever that was).
All members of that family were born prior to civil registration of births in Ireland (1864). I've found only 1 baptism out of 5 known children. The family were in the same parish for at least a century.  Start date of surviving baptism registers is too late for the elder children.  Some pages in a later register are illegible; unfortunately those pages include baptisms in the years when the youngest child was born.
Another pair of my Irish ancestors have questionable ages on English censuses. They might have been born in 1830s or 1840s. Their son's English wife was 2 -3 years older than him; she adjusted her age downwards.
Age discrepancies weren't confined to Irish-born people. An English ancestor, born 1822, had incorrect ages on almost every census, (she was more than a decade younger on one), except for 1891.
Cowban

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:50 BST (UK) »

Kilmoremoy

Diocese of Killala | Counties of Mayo, Sligo
Variant forms of parish name:
Kilmore Moy
Killmore Moy
Ballina

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0753

IF she was R,C.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.