Author Topic: alwen cottages  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: alwen cottages
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr

I gave the link to the post code site yesterday. I only gave the general link as the specific one doesn't seem to be a permanent link.

Depending on the date... Alwen Terrace is extant and seems to be a terrace of 6 originally being reservoir workers housing. 

The Terrace (1-6) is just to the NE of the reservoir. No mention of the cottages. See Post Code finder https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

I think it might be worth looking at some early censuses that show Alwen Cottages so that they can be identified as in the same place as Alwen Terrace.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
Depending on the date... Alwen Terrace is extant and seems to be a terrace of 6 originally being reservoir workers housing.  South-east of Alwen Bungalow here.

That Alwen Terrace is not on the 1912-13 map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/296150/352662/12/101052

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the Terrace, seen from above

https://goo.gl/maps/YN8EUkQoNoWpPrE67

Stan -  thinking that there's either a mistake with the location of the cottages or that the Terrace was built afterwards for workmen building the reservoir -  Denbighshire Archive info suggests circaq1920 or just before.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 August 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I just skimmed thro' the posts and missed the one you referred to. Don't usually bother these days with posts relating to places this distance from where I have known family connections. Took an interest in this because I'd been running in a Trail Race a few weeks ago, around Alwen Reservoir. I took the wrong turning and landed in the area where the houses are. Had to return to main road and take next turning along a track that goes into the forestry at a level higher than the top of the dam.
Emyr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 August 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
 :)

I had ancestors from that area many years ago. One set moved to Corwen and then Llantysilio and then Ruabon. The other ones moved over the Berwyns and into Montgomeryshire! My Scottish lines came down to Bala and then Clocaenog and then to Ruabon.

I reckon all my DNA got mixed up in Llyn Tegid and arose  ;D

Gadget

Offline Charlotteresearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 October 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly - look,  if you see this message I have been reading some of your posts regarding the Partridges of Wrexham. I am undertaking some research into a branch of the family and I'd love to speak with you. My email is (*) and I'd be so grateful if you would contact me. Kind Regards, Charlotte

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
hi all

not been on here for a long time so was quite happy to read all the  posts.  my grand dad (tied) brother was born in the cottages, I think from memory my great grand dad morris Edwards worked for the water board.  my tied was born in bala, although the family came from llanuwchllyn, bryncroes. they then moved to llay in Denbighshire.

have also been in contact with charlotte re partridges of Wrexham.

molly
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire