Author Topic: DNA matches me to Hughes Travellers in Scotland  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DNA matches me to Hughes Travellers in Scotland
« on: Wednesday 14 August 19 02:53 BST (UK) »
I've recently had my DNA results. My closest match on GEDmatch is with a gentleman who has a lot of traveller DNA on his paternal side, this includes; Irish Travellers, English Gypsy and Scottish Travellers. We also mutually match others who match him on his Traveller ancestry. We match with a 50 cMs which means our common ancestor is probably a 2x great grandparent of mine. I do have an unknown 2x great-grandfather as my great-grandmother was illegitimate with no father noted on any BMDS. We have a name for a suspected father and that is a John Hughes born 1855, in Falkirk to John Hughes and Jane Adelaide Limerick.

Some names in this line are Hughes, Limerick, Keith, Donnolly, McAndlish  and McDonald.

Are these associated with Irish Travellers or other communities such as Scottish travellers?

Thanks!

EDIT: The Hughes do stem from Ireland. John Hughes Snr's parents were John Hughes and Agnes Donnolly, they were both born in Armagh and John is a Hawker in 1851 in Falkirk

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA matches me to Hughes Travellers in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Good luck Liviani. I hope this match helps to fill in the gap in your tree. Just be aware that at 50 cM the common ancestors could be further back than 2x great grandparents. Have you looked at the possible relationships using the shared cm tool?
https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA matches me to Hughes Travellers in Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
That's true, and thank you for the helpful link, I'll save that for future use.

In the case of the 50cMs match. Myself and the other person have done a lot of investigating on this to find the potential common ancestor. We've managed to narrow it down to my unknown 2x great-grandfather, and with the help of censuses found that the man in question was in the area around the time of the birth of my great-grandmother. We've checked various lines and the mutual matches are all matching up to the Hughes travellers.

I'm waiting on my ancestry results (first DNA test was with Living DNA) to see other matches, but at this stage myself and the other match are 95% sure it comes from John Hughes b 1855 in Falkirk.

Thanks again.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie