Author Topic: Finding my family bible  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my family bible
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
We are privileged enough to have our family bible. My mother's cousin, when she found out, responded "Why do YOU have it?"

I can imagine various branches of any family feeling piqued that someone else has the family bible, which might be assuaged by it always passing to the oldest son (or daughter). 

But what if that is the person in the generaton who is completely disinterested by the family  history?

I suppose the family historian will have already put in requests to be custodian for a while......
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
I should clarify that my mum's cousin seems to think that anything family history related should belong to her. She came across as righteous indignation that someone else could possibly have something and not her. I took images of the pages and sent those. I've never met her but I've heard stories from older relatives about her hunt for another item she knows we have and she's not getting that either.

I hope her children are interested in FH. I'd love to get my hands on some of her stuff too...

It does make you wonder what is out there that you'll never know about / stuff that was out there that was destroyed. One of my ancestors left a will talking about mahogany furniture. My mum commented that those might be the pieces of furniture my grandmother destroyed before travelling around Europe with my military grandfather.

Offline macken_h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I saw this post and thought to tell you that over the years I have seen Family Bibles on eBay.
It might be worth checking every now and then. You may get lucky!
Regards,
Hilary
Balfour, Painting. Belin, de Belin. Mackenzie/McKenzie

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
You said your grandmother moved to Australia and your mum said it was never at your house and it was not found at your grandmother's old house. Maybe it wasn't thrown out, or sold. Maybe it stayed with the family.

Could your grandmother have taken it with her? Did she arrive in Australia with other relatives, or to be with family? They might now have it. If so, have you tracked them down?

Could your grandmother have passed it on to another relative before emigrating? To a sibliing, cousin, nephew, niece? Maybe if she thought her own children wouldn't value it she could have given it to someone who would. Going backwards a generation to come forward might just be another way of finding it!

Katharine.