Author Topic: Ancestry Hints  (Read 3127 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Ancestry Hints
« on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
Folks,
I have been looking at my Ancestry tree for my Gibson family in Essex hoping to help a fellow Rootschatter.Overnight Ancestry has suggested 13 pages of hints to plough through,seems the collaboration is complete between them and Essex R O.
The usual blunders are served up.
Hint for father is child's baptism.
Names don't match
Records from a genealogical service in the Netherlands.
Records from a library in USA.( Not Salt Lake City)
A pity the techies at Ancestry have no idea what extra time is wasted by paying customers because of their inability to produce accurate algorithms.

Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Hints
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
You can now give feedback on the hints. This will help them to improve the algorithms.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
I believe hints willl only improve if people do respond to them and either accept or reject them.

Yes I know the refrain is why should I do Ancestry's work for them but look at it another way if you are not prepared to help improve the system you cannot bemoan it when it falls short. (And just to show I am not over virtuous in this respect I have 3,500 hints unchecked, still as it was over 6,000 I am making progress  :) )

Just my opinion of course.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
I have been struggling with my grandfather's brother William Kane ,b.1882.
He went to Canada and I have no further details.
I was excited yesterday ::) when there was a hint in Ancestry about him.
But, when I clicked to see more information I was instructed to take out a sub. for worldwide membership!
This is so disappointing,
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
I have been struggling with my grandfather's brother William Kane ,b.1882.
He went to Canada and I have no further details.
I was excited yesterday ::) when there was a hint in Ancestry about him.
But, when I clicked to see more information I was instructed to take out a sub. for worldwide membership!
This is so disappointing,
Kooky

They are running a business so it is normal to pay for the service they offer. Taking out a sub is cheaper than the travel that folks had to do to research in the past  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 August 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Folks,
I have been looking at my Ancestry tree for my Gibson family in Essex hoping to help a fellow Rootschatter.Overnight Ancestry has suggested 13 pages of hints to plough through,seems the collaboration is complete between them and Essex R O.
The usual blunders are served up.
Hint for father is child's baptism.
Names don't match
Records from a genealogical service in the Netherlands.
Records from a library in USA.( Not Salt Lake City)
A pity the techies at Ancestry have no idea what extra time is wasted by paying customers because of their inability to produce accurate algorithms.

I don't think that a hint for father in child's baptism is a blunder.  It is a perfectly legitimate record if the father is named on the baptismal record.  Just think how useful it would be if you already knew of the child's existence but it was one of those infuriating instances where you didn't know the father!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 August 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hints for a person that is baptism of their child are very useful, if correct.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 August 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
I don't think that a hint for father in child's baptism is a blunder.  It is a perfectly legitimate record if the father is named on the baptismal record.  Just think how useful it would be if you already knew of the child's existence but it was one of those infuriating instances where you didn't know the father!

Pheno

I agree, it is a cross reference and often useful. It is, after all a hint, and you don't have to add it to your tree.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 August 19 11:59 BST (UK) »
I've moaned a bit about Ancestry's hints in the past. But I've clicked on a few of them today, just on the off chance that they might tell me something useful, and they've helped me pin down a few relatives who I've been struggling with. One linked to a passenger list, another to a marriage registered under their middle name, another to Australian cemetery records.... I've managed to confirm that all of them are correct.

Still found loads of completely nonsense hints along the way though!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!