Author Topic: Marriage of Edward Tooey and Margaret Wyllie, 1853  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Marriage of Edward Tooey and Margaret Wyllie, 1853
« on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
According to various indexes this couple were married in Sligo on 22 August 1853, but there's no image at www.irishgenealogy.ie.

Does anyone have access to the information on the original record please, in particular the details of Margaret's father and any witnesses?

I am wondering if she is the daughter of Alexander Wyllie and Margaret Speid, born 24 July 1828 at Newton, Stracathro, Angus, Scotland. Her younger sister Marjorie/Margery was married in Sligo in 1859 to David Anderson. Alexander was not with his family in the 1841 census; could his widow have moved to Sligo with all her children, James b 1824, David b 1826, Margaret b 1828, Mary b 1830, John b 1833, Alexander b 1836 and Marjorie b 1836? Or had he already moved, and she was just waiting to join him once he got settled in Ireland? There is a possible death of a Margaret Wylie at Cumin, Sligo in 1889 of exactly the right age, and an Alexander Wylie died in 1866 aged 78, who could possibly be her husband. It all fits together neatly but I'd still like a little bit more evidence to clinch it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Edward Tooey and Margaret Wyllie, 1853
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:03 BST (UK) »

Religion?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:07 BST (UK) »
Members of the family are Presbyterian in some records, C of I in some and Methodist later on. No idea, naturally, what the denomination was in 1853 as I haven't seen the original, except that I understood that RC marriages were not recorded in the civil registers until 1864 so I assumed it would be Protestant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
Image not online yet!

Marriage of MARGARET WYLLIE
in 1853
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Sligo
Returns Year   1853
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   10
Returns Page No   199

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 17:14 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 August 19 08:35 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 August 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this. My brain is beginning to hurt!

I had found that Irwin/Wyllie marriage, and noted it for possible future investigation as the name Rickard is associated with the Wyllies in Scotland. Had not seen the Irwin death or censuses. But Annie cannot be a daughter of Margaret Speid because she must have been born in 1864/5 when Margaret Speid would have been too old (she was born in 1802). So Annie, if related, would have to be a granddaughter of Alexander Wyllie and Margaret Speid. In which case, when and where did her father Alexander Jr die? (Or was she a very late child fathered by Alexander Sr when he was 75 years old?)

There's an online tree that says that Alexander Wyllie who died in Sligo in 1866 was the one born in Forfar in 1787. I have no evidence either way.

Since posting the query I have learned that one of the sons of Alexander Wyllie and Margaret Speid, John Speid Wyllie, settled, married and died in Argentina. So even if they all moved to Ireland, they didn't all stay there.

How long is it likely to be before that 1853 marriage image becomes available online?