Author Topic: Valentine-Thodey marriage Cardington 1808 - or burial?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valentine-Thodey marriage Cardington 1808 - or burial?
« on: Thursday 15 August 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has access to original marriage registers (not transcripts please) could they do a quick lookup for me please?

I am looking for the marriage status of Mary Valentine and Timothy Thodey, who married in Cardington 28 Dec 1808, I have tried various transcription sites (FindMyPast, Ancestry, FreeReg) and none have that information on them.

I suspect that the information might not have been recorded on the marriage entry but it is worth a try. I am hoping that Mary Valentine was a widow.

The only other way I could double-check is to find Mary Thodey's burial. I know that Timothy Thodey was born about 1789 as I have found him as a widower in the census (1841-61) and I have found his death in 1865 - but I cannot find Mary's burial, even on the Bedfordshire Surnames CD.

I also have found that in the 1841 census Timothy appeared to have four children; Sarah(1811), William(1816), Thomas(1821) and Mary(1821) married James Yoxon in 1837, and a grandchild, Thomas Yoxon. However, I have yet to find baptisms for them.

Therefore Mary Thodey, should have been buried 1821-1841 but I have not as yet been able to find her burial, and I am hoping that her burial would say that she was born about 1771.

Would appreciate any help on this
Helen

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine-Thodey marriage Cardington 1808 - or burial?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
Why are hoping that Mary was a widow? There is a Mary Valentine baptised 01/12/1771 in Cardington, parents George and Elizabeth, but you probably have that already.
There are burials online from 1837 and she isn’t amongst those, so that means she was buried prior to 1837, if she was buried in Cardington.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 August 19 08:31 BST (UK) »
Oh dear! that complicates things!
My Mary Valentine was born Mary Bowstril, daughter of James and Martha, in Cople in 1771, she married John Valentine in 1798 in Cople and had a son James there in 1799. And that is the only child that I have found.

I had found a burial for Mary Valentine in 1826 that fitted age-wise but it was in Eversholt, which is not very close, I also found a burial in Cardington in 1806 for a John Valentine, so wondered if the Thodey marriage was my Mary - but perhaps not.

I have a nasty feeling that I will never have a definitive answer!

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 August 19 08:55 BST (UK) »
I've now transcribed Cardington from 1813 onwards. Burials can be found here http://stevengibbs.me.uk/CardingtonBurials-1813.htm, baptisms and marriages are also up. There are no baptisms for Timothy Thodey's children so they were probably non-conformist. It's very possible, therefore, that Mary was buried in a non-conformist burial yard (Cotton End, say), with no record of her death.

As for Cople, I've transcribed, but not yet published the registers for the period 1813-37. There's no sign of John Valentine or his family, so they must have moved away (or died) by then.

You can see the official transcripton of Cardington up to 1812 here https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari08bedf. It's highly unlikely to contain mistakes. The original volumes for this period are not available for inspection.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 19 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven
Many thanks for the info, and reminding me of the of the official archives site, I keep forgetting that!

Looks like I might have to try some other avenues!

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 September 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
testing
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods