Author Topic: Christina/Christian/Christy Munro(e) 1837-1933  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Christina/Christian/Christy Munro(e) 1837-1933
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 August 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 August 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
Fearn is a hamlet, situated 1 mile south of Loch Eye and 2 miles northwest of Balintore, in eastern Ross-shire, Scottish Highlands
Fearn is a fully-fledged parish, not just a hamlet, in Easter Ross.

See https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROC/Fearn

(not to be confused with the similarly-named parish in Angus https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ANS/Fearn)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 20 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the information. Sorry for the slow response. I seemed to have missed the replies to this thread.

I have been updating my  tree with much of it and it has filled in some blanks and corrected some errors. 

The "nephew" John Munro who appears on various documents  still confuses me.

His parents can't be  George Munro 1801–? and May Munro 1810–1861 as his birth is about 1864-1865 and May passed in 1861.

I know I am missing something obvious here but still missing the link.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 April 20 18:01 BST (UK) »
This is more about John Munro, informant.

New information suggests that George and Mary Munro had a son John born about 1836 in Tain.  However, I have not found that birth.

That John Munro, born about 1836, marries a Flora Munro, daughter of John Munro and Catherine Ross

Also unable to find a document supporting this.

They had a son John born about 1864.  He marries a Margaret McEachern at Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, 21 June 1892 . Still looking for him in records in Scotland with no joy.

In 1901 Scotland census we find

At Railway Cottages, Little Dunkeld, Perthshire
Head: John MUNRO 37, Railway Porter, b Tain Rossshire (abt 1864)
Wife: Margaret 29, b Tarbetness, Rossshire
Son: Archibald J , 7, b Little Dunkeld
Son: John Claud 4,  b Little Dunkeld
Son: Angus Mc E,  1

Things start to fit around the Canadian records.

We find an arrival for John and Margaret Munro with three children
Arrived NY on  13 May 1907 on the Caledonia (same ship, 3 months before possible  Aunty Christy )
John MUNRO 44, Railway Porter, last residence Birnam, Scotland, b Tain
Final destination: Ailsa Craig, East William.
Going to, Uncle Roderick Munro, East William
Destination Canada
Travelling with:
Wife: Margaret 32, b Tarbet
Son: Archibald 11, Angus 5, Claud 3 - all born Birnam

Roderick makes sense by name but I have not found his residence in 1911 Canada census to confirm this is the same man.  He passes in 1920 in London, Ontario. Parents John and Mary and John, Nephew, on Hackett street informant.  Address is same as sister Christina based on her death record.

As noted earlier, Christina's death record has mother as Catherine Ross.  Did informant John use his grandmother's name in error?  It was "not known" on original and then some months later, changed to Catherine Ross.

Many things point to George and Mary Munro having a son John born about 1836 in Tain who then married Flora Munro and had a son John born about 1864.  Just can't seem to find the births or other significant documents. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Note: the two youngest, appear be listed the wrong way round.
No, they're not.
The children were Archibald John, born 1893
John Claud McE, born 1896, died 1902 in Perth
Angus McEachern, born 1900
John Claud, born 1903

Dunkeld and Birnam is ....in Perth and Kinross, Scotland, consisting of two villages on opposite banks of the River Tay: the historic cathedral "city" of Dunkeld on the north bank, and Birnam on the south bank
That is true now.

However it was not true then. The district of 'Perth and Kinross' did not exist in 1890-1910. It was only created in 1975 when local government boundaries were re-drawn. These new-fangled local government units are a perfect nuisance for historians, because all the historical records are based on the parishes and historic counties.

The parish of Dunkeld, which contains the town and cathedral* of Dunkeld, is on the left bank of the River Tay. On the opposite side of the river is the separate and distinct parish of Little Dunkeld, which contains the village of Birnam.

The railway is on the right bank, i.e. in Little Dunkeld, and the station was named 'Dunkeld and Birnam Station'. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO0341

*Although the building is still called Dunkeld Cathedral, it is not technically a cathedral. A cathedral specifically contains a cathedra, which is the chair of a bishop. The Church of Scotland is presbyterian, not episcopal, therefore it has no cathedrae and no buildings which perform the function of a cathedral, though there are several pre-Reformation Church of Scotland buildings that are still known as xxx Cathedral, including Dunkeld, Dunblane, St Machar in Aberdeen, St Giles in Edinburgh, St Magnus in Kirkwall and others. There are cathedrals in Scotland belonging to the Roman Catholic and Scottish Episcopal Churches, both of which do have bishops. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 April 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Roderick MUNROE died 3 Feb 1920, aged 84y
Birth 21 Jan 1836 Scotland
Of 144 Egerton,
In Ontario, Canada 45 years (since abt 1875)
Informed by nephew John MUNROE of 975 Hackett St - who said, his parents were George & May Munroe.
Roderick's DoB cannot possibly be correct because his brother John was born on 11 April 1836.

Roderick Munro, son of George Munro and Marjory Munro, was baptised in Alness on 4 April 1842.

The immigration record said that John Munro and Margaret McEachern and family were going to John's uncle Roderick in East William.

In the 1911 census in Williams East Twp, Middlesex North, Ontario is Roderick Munro, head, single, born March 1843, Scotland, immigrated 1866, with his sister Christy Munro, single, born Feb 1840, aged 71, immigrated 1907.

We know from other records that Christian Munro was born on 19 February 1839, the widow of Andrew Urquhart, and that she immigrated to Canada in 1907. So this does look like her, with a birth one year out and having reverted to her maiden name.

In 1901, in Williams East, is Roderick Munro, single, born 11 June 1848, Scotland, immigrated 1866.

So Roderick himself seems unsure when he was born, either what year or what day, so the DoB on his death certificate is obviously unreliable.

However I have not so far found any record of this Roderick in Scotland in 1851 or 1861. Unless he is the 9-year-old servant, born Alness, in the household of widowed Janet Munro in Kiltearn in 1851. And/or the 18-year-old ploughman in the household of James Munro in Fearn in 1861.

Census 1851: At Rosemount, Tain
Head: John MUNRO, 49, Wood Keeper & Forrester, b Rosskeen, Rosshire (abt 1802)
Wife: Catherine 48,  b Rosskeen, Rosshire
Dau: Flora 17, b Tain
Dau: Catherine 14, b Tain
Dau: Lary? 12, b Tain  (this must be 'Alexis' from 1841
Son: John 8, b Tain
'Lary' will be a mistranscription of Lexy.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 April 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
I have struggled with the dates for some time.  I have not added the information in my tree.  The 1842/43 date would make more sense for Roderick. Possibly informant John was unsure or maybe just some family confusion over birthdays.

Still digging through previous posts on this and one other thread.

Thanks for all the feedback

Stay safe.