Author Topic: Megraw/Matthews  (Read 791 times)

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Megraw/Matthews
« on: Saturday 17 August 19 17:08 BST (UK) »
hello I know I have some cousins in Canada-the Ontario/York area but cannot trace anything. These were the children of (my great-aunt) Ruth Matthews (1915-1990) and James William Megraw (1914-1983) I am reckoning on the son being born sometime between 1937-1940 and their daughter a couple of years younger. I have photos of them as well, this is how I knew there were children in Canada but only found out recently who they were.
The only thing I have for definite about them both is the memoriam gravestone picture of both their mum and dad with them as the children left behind.

So anything you can find about them would be good as they may still be alive and I could then hopefully connect with them to find out more about my Great Uncle and Great Grandparents who I again found out they had emigrated in early 1900s.
Thanks

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Megraw & Sharon Megraw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 August 19 19:11 BST (UK) »
Rootschat has a policy that living people may not be named on an open forum.

I think you may need to modify your post to remove names of potentially living people.

Sorry!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Megraw/Matthews
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 August 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
ok thanks. Never thought of that

I have now modified it and removed the "living" names but how do I now put the request  back out there

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
ok thanks. Never thought of that

I have now modified it and removed the "living" names but how do I now put the request  back out there

Every time a thread is added to, it will show on the list.  Hopefully, someone will be able to find details of the children's births and advise you of resources where they can be tracked forwards.  This would have to be done by Personal Message for any living people.

I don't know much about Canadian records so I can't advise you, but it occurs to be that a local newspaper for example might have named the children and their locations (and perhaps spouses or offspring) in an obituary.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

James's obit from 1983 mentions their children.  There is a son with initial J and a daughter with the initial S.   There are 4 named grandchildren as well.

Toronto Star page 16 Feb 1983 page E8.

You can look for people by name on the Canada411 site.
https://www.canada411.ca/

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
Ruth's obit is in the Toronto Star, Nov 11 1990, page E23. 

It says she is the mother of the late Sharon, and of son J.  Grandmother of L, J (female), D and M (male).  Great grandmother of 3 named children.

RK

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Ruth's obit is in the Toronto Star, Nov 11 1990, page E23. 

It says she is the mother of the late Sharon, and of son J.  Grandmother of L, J (female), D and M (male).  Great grandmother of 3 named children.

RK
Hi,

James's obit from 1983 mentions their children.  There is a son with initial J and a daughter with the initial S.   There are 4 named grandchildren as well.

Toronto Star page 16 Feb 1983 page E8.

You can look for people by name on the Canada411 site.
https://www.canada411.ca/

RK

Those are great finds!  I wish I had an 'applause' emoji!
Could you give the source - is the Toronto Star viewable free online?  If not, would you consider sending a Personal Message to Julie Wedlock naming the children?

Philip

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Phillip :)

I sent a PM to Julie - listing all the names from the two obituaries.  Unfortunately, no locations are given for any of the listed people, nor are any surnames provided. 

I believe that the Toronto Star archive is available through a paid site (can't seem to find the link at the moment)...but it is also available for free through many Canadian libraries.   I am not sure if the Star is included in the Ancestry newspaper collection - I don't have a current Ancestry subscription.   

I know that Ancestry has Canadian Voters lists - perhaps the Megraws can be found there?   

RK     

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 August 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the info. I will check out the obits for Ruth & James but without surnames, it may still be hard to locate them. Anyway I will also re-check Ancestry because I don't recall seeing the Star on there but if I were to put a bit more info in, well who knows. I may not have the full subscription even though I asked for it when I became a member.

Thanks again, I won't close this topic in case something else occurs to anyone.