Author Topic: Lewisham based Electrical Resistance Company 1930/40s  (Read 880 times)

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewisham based Electrical Resistance Company 1930/40s
« on: Wednesday 21 August 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have any information and/or photos of the Electrical Resistance Co owned by the Winter family that was located in the Lewisham area in the 1930/40s?  I'm not sure what it would have been called.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

K8T

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lewisham based Electrical Resistance Company 1930/40s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 August 19 03:35 BST (UK) »
The only possibility I can see in the London 1939 Classified Telephone Directory is, under Electrical Resistance Manufacturers:

Lowa Dimmers Ltd., Crown Works, Berrymans Lane, Sydenham, SE26

Owners not named. You might try the 'phone books on Ancestry to see if the Winters lived in Sydenham.

People on Sydenham Town Forum/Town Museum & Gallery are often knowledgeable about former local companies and residents, but traffic to that forum can be a bit slow.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris, that information is very helpful.  I will try the forum you suggest and look into the phone directories too.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 August 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
I've now found some Kelly's Sydenham directories which for 1927-1935 show at Berrymans Lane Dimmers (1925) Ltd, L H Williams, Electrical Engineers, so I'm afraid it's looking less likely to be the company you want, but could have changed hands and been renamed by 1939.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
You are a star.  This is exactly the one I'm looking for.  L H Williams was, in fact, Lillian Harriet Williams nee Winter.  Thank you so much for your help.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 August 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
I'm delighted and relieved to hear that. When I saw the name wasn't Winter, I began to feel guilty about misleading you. Hopefully, adding the company information and new name to your thread on Sydenham Town may trigger some local memories.