Author Topic: Lair certificate - Neilston  (Read 1768 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lair certificate - Neilston
« on: Friday 23 August 19 05:37 BST (UK) »
My wife's Uncle Jim died feb this year in or near Glasgow. We have received a request for information about a Lair certificate which appears to be required so that his ashes can be placed with his mum, buried Neilston cemetery.

I'm looking for information about what a Lair certificate is, why one is required, how to obtain one etc, etc.

I have emailed a funeral parlor in Barrhead, with which my wife and I had organised in 2016 for a Gravestone to put placed on the lair when we were visiting in the UK.

Mick
Queensland, Australia
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Lair certificate - Neilston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:11 BST (UK) »
"My wife's Uncle Jim died feb this year. We have received a request for information about a Lair certificate which appears to be required so that his ashes can be placed with his mum, buried Neilston cemetery"

I think you need to be more specific as to why you & your wife have been contacted?

If the Uncle is to be buried with his mum, this would be your wife's g/mother (is this correct)?

The request would/should be to the Lair Owner for permission to add to the plot/ground i.e. does your wife own the plot where the ashes are to be placed/buried?

Will there be a Headstone etc. as all this needs permission from the owner?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:37 BST (UK) »
G'day Annie,

It is my wife Grandmother, also buried there is her step grandfather and a step uncle.

I think we have been contacted as my wife and I paided for a Headstone (Gravestone) to be placed on the lair in 2016.
I have sent a email to the funeral parlor in Barrhead with whom we organised the Headstone.

I also understand from my wife's that her parents had sent money to help with funeral expenses for her grandmother when she died in 1981.

I don't know who is the Lair Owner. How do I find out?

Mick

"My wife's Uncle Jim died feb this year. We have received a request for information about a Lair certificate which appears to be required so that his ashes can be placed with his mum, buried Neilston cemetery"

I think you need to be more specific as to why you & your wife have been contacted?

If the Uncle is to be buried with his mum, this would be your wife's g/mother (is this correct)?

The request would/should be to the Lair Owner for permission to add to the plot/ground i.e. does your wife own the plot where the ashes are to be placed/buried?

Will there be a Headstone etc. as all this needs permission from the owner?

Annie
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:52 BST (UK) »
I don't have time at the moment to do a search for who to contact but meanwhile, has you & your wife been contacted for permission to add a name to the Headstone which you've paid for as this seems quite likely?

Who contacted you & have you details to contact the family member direct?

I need to go offline but something to consider as I'm not sure with going through a 3rd party the relative of the uncle may be paying a lot of money just for contact/info. etc?

If you do a google search on the name of the graveyard this should give you the info. as to where to email?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 August 19 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Annie,

The only contact we have had is from my wife's Aunt, wife of Uncle Jim, asking about a Lair certificate.
They knew we had organised a Headstone back in 2016 and visited soon after it was placed. I don't know if they want Uncle Jim's details added to the Headstone.

I'm waiting to hear back from the funeral parlor before I take this further.

Mick
I don't have time at the moment to do a search for who to contact but meanwhile, has you & your wife been contacted for permission to add a name to the Headstone which you've paid for as this seems quite likely?

Who contacted you & have you details to contact the family member direct?

I need to go offline but something to consider as I'm not sure with going through a 3rd party the relative of the uncle may be paying a lot of money just for contact/info. etc?

If you do a google search on the name of the graveyard this should give you the info. as to where to email?

Annie

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
This thread may help you but basically the lair deeds are with the local council if you email them they should be ale to tell you who the registered owner is
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723397.0

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wendy2305

This thread may help you but basically the lair deeds are with the local council if you email them they should be ale to tell you who the registered owner is
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723397.0

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 August 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
The Funeral Directors I contacted have replied and have stated "I have spoken to the council and they will accept an indemnity form along with the application (we can supply both forms)."

We are forwarding the reply to Uncle Jim's wife and children.

Thanks all
Mick
(I still don't know who owns the Lair, I did send a email earlier to the council)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Can I ask ow you managed to place a headstone on the grave without a Lair Certificate belonging to yourself/your wife? It is only the Lair owner that can do so.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire