Author Topic: Chambers of Sudbury  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers of Sudbury
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 August 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thinking about a Tasmanian connection there is the death of a John Richard Chambers birth 1839, (death date 9 Feb 1904) - age 64 - buried at Ross Anglican Cemetery, Northern Midlands Council, Tasmania. Details on findagrave.com web site. His wife was Julie Elizabeth who died 18 Sept 1934 (birth 1847) and is buried in the same cemetery.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 August 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have now found the marriage of John Richard Chambers and Julia Elizabeth Pain on familysearch.org

Their marriage took place on 6 May 1873 at Campbell Town (John age shown as 32 Julia age 25). One of the witnesses was Joseph Coombe who had married John Richard's sister Ann Chambers on16 May 1860, also in Campbell Town. Images of both marriages available on FS.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 August 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a bit more details found regarding John R Chambers. It looks like he emigrated in 1860 from Liverpool to Melbourne (arrival 10 September 1860) age 23 in the company of Louis P Sergy age 20 (Same cabin number 2324 for both persons)

Could this Louis P Sergy be the father of Louis C Sergy (b1859) who is with his Chambers grandmother Susannah in Sudbury in the 1861 census?

Alan

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 August 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
The father of (Marc) Louis P Sergy is almost certainly Marc Louis Sergy (B Switzerland 1812, died London 1874 (?)) He married Catherine Matilda Chambers in 1859, but its true that I cannot find them in 1861 ( I can find them in 1871) . The ages of the two Sergys do not match, so I wonder whether Louis is a half-brother of Marc from a previous marriage ?
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 August 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
That seems very possible given the age gap between Marc and Catherine Matilda.

Death of 1st Wife?
SERGY, SARAH  age 40 
GRO Reference: 1852  D Quarter in MAIDSTONE  Volume 02A  Page 245
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 August 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
I've now found four further children of Richard and Susannah Chambers being born in India.(FS)
Twins John and Sarah (b + d 1821) , Richard Samuel Chambers ( 1824) and John Henry Chambers (b 1822). I wonder if John Henry is the same as Joseph Henry ? (No record of the birth of a Joseph) .
I also wonder whether the Indian-born Richard Samuel Chambers is the father of the two whom I've accused of ' touching-up' their roots ? . Its just about possible, I think.
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 August 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The India connection is interesting in that there is a Charles Chambers (wife Maria nee Handley) who in 1881 are in Hampshire with 7 children - Charles S, Maria E, William T, Adelaide M, Richard B, Alfred G, and Archibald H.

In the latest census Charles is shown as being born in Sudbury, Suffolk but otherwise the censuses show him born India. I wondered if it was possible that he was actually born in India but then baptised in Suffolk in 1837?

Alan

UPDATE - Sorry forget this the marriage in Portsea 1864 says Charles Samuel Chambers (not Charles John Chambers) although there may be a connection?

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 August 19 08:50 BST (UK) »
See my speculation re this in a previous posting last Saturday on this gentleman. I hadn't considered a late baptism. I've noticed now, as well, that the Richard Samuel Chambers born in India died there as a child.

Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Allen5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 February 22 08:16 GMT (UK) »
1861 she has a Grandson with her;
Susannah Chambers   64
Louis Chas Sergy   1

SERGY, MARC  LOUIS CHARLES, Mothers mn CHAMBERS 
GRO Reference: 1859  D Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE  Volume 01A  Page 235

FreeBMD has a Marriage for Catherine Matilda Chambers 1859 London

F/S has a Catherine christened 14 Feb 1830 to Richard/Susan as you probably know.

Interesting that a Butler and Housekeper could send their Son away to School where he is in 1871.
St Saviours College Sussex

Hello, I'm late to the conversation. Yes, I found this very strange. The school was and is still very expensive. Furthermore the butler and the housekeeper had approval from the Bishop of London to have a rushed marriage (she was pregnant) without the usual Banns requirement. They got married in a very nice church (with their wedding being followed by the wedding of the Bishop of Rochester in that church).

The butler (Marc Louis Sergy, a Swiss immigrant) and the housekeeper (Catharine Matilda Chambers) are my 3 x great grandparents. Their child Marc Louis Charles Sergy "Louis" was my 2 x great grand father and I was close to one of his granddaughters (my grandmother).  Louis still has 3 living great grandchildren that I know of (including my mum). My grandmother spent the summer of 1925 in the apartment of Louis at 5 Chancery Lane, City of London.

The butler and the housekeeper were working in the house of Algernon Bertram Mitford in 1871. He was an amazing man (one of the books he authored is still in print after 150 years) but is sadly more remembered for the exploits of two of his granddaughters, the infamous Mitford sisters.

All of the names of Louis Sergy's children can be found in Algernon Mitford's family; most were unusual names.

I'm working on the assumption that there was a paternity issue here. It is supposition though. Still ferreting away. I cannot find any trace of Marc Louis Sergy (the butler), Catharine Matilda Chambers (the housekeeper) or Algernon Bertram Mitford in the 1861 Census, or any other information about where they might have been in the late 1850's. The child, Marc Louis Charles Sergy is living with his maternal grandmother, Susanna, in Sudbury (just her aged 64 and her one year old grandson in the house).
Fieldgate Norman Sergy Chambers Chinery Hartmann Pabst