Author Topic: Hugh Montgomery (Ballylessan) became Hugh Willoughby to inherit Carrow Estate  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Hugh Montgomery of Ballylessan married, secondly, the widow of Lord Blaney, who was also related to and the widow of Hugh Willoughby of Carrow. He took the name of Willoughby to inherit his wife’s family manor house and lands of  Carrow (a large estate in Co Fermanagh).  His son Hugh Willoughby married a daughter of Earl Erne of Crom Castle on the banks of Loch Erne  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/crom . One of their daughters, Elizabeth, married into the family of the first Baron Mountflorence of Florence Court , John Cole, http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/florence-court ; Another daughter, Catherine,  married  Alexander Montgomery of Ballyleck, also associated with the Cole family.  The third daughter married Cromwell Price, and their daughter married a McNeill cousin, descendent of Hercules and Jane Montgomery.
I'd be interested in any information on this family and have a lot more to share.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Montgomery (Ballylessan) became Hugh Willoughby to inherit Carrow Estate
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 August 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten your previous thread (with lots of information posted for you)?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738139.msg5842725#msg5842725
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Montgomery (Ballylessan) became Hugh Willoughby to inherit Carrow Estate
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 August 19 23:41 BST (UK) »

Crikey....forgot about that thread!

Anyway, the Hugh you mention is described as Hugh Montgomery of Sheepland Co Down, first wife Jane Hunckes dau of Col Hercules Hunckes*, Governor of Derry.  (*may be Hunches??)

One son Hercules Montgomery (died 1728) who married Jane McNeil, dau of Rev Archibald McNeil, Chancellor of Down Cathedral.  One son John. In Jane's Will probated in 1743 she leaves nothing to son John!

Hugh Montgomery of Sheepland Co Down  married 2ndly the Widow of Hugh Willoughby of Carrow, dau of Lord Blayney... one son by her, Hugh Willoughby of Carrow

Hugh Montgomery of Sheepland Co Down  was son of George M and Griselda McDougal dau of Sir John McD

Anyway they are far too complicated with so many changing their names to those of their wives in order to inherit..

Montgomery to Willoughby
Montgomery to Archdall
Montgomery to Moore of Drogheda
Montgomery to Moore of Co Down

...as for Montgomeries marrying Montgomeries   >:(

You probably have all this by now...

With you having so much to share maybe it would be easier if you said what you haven't got?

Did you get the Pedigree of Montgomery, Earls of Eglinton and of Braidstone, Viscount Montgomery of Ardes, Co. Down, Earl of Mount Alexander, and of Balrish, Co. Meath of Rosemount and Grey Abbey, of Ballylessan also Dunbreakly in Co. Down, and Montgomery of Grangy in Co. Down and Maghera, Co. Derry, c.1450 -- 1821

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.112, pp.368-71 ??

4 huge pages of the Pedigree with 100's of names, dates of Marriages, dates of Wills etc and more importantly Sources for well over 100 Montgomeries and Willoughby/Moore/Archdall for only a few Euro

One gets dizzy even looking at it with the name changes and one line marrying another line!

They were a close family!  ;D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten your previous thread (with lots of information posted for you)?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738139.msg5842725#msg5842725

I did!  ;D

Thanks for warning as I could have wasted hours looking up stuff that has already been found!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks for all your information in the past which has been so helpful. I think I have got the major names and approx dates of the main line down now and the relationships sorted ( as you say difficult when they kept changing their names to inherit). It is a vast family tree and I wondered if anyone was specifically researching this family and if they had any information on the lives of the Coles, Montgomery-Willoughbys and other major families of this area. They all lived within a limited area and I have so far visited Florence Court (portrait of Elizabeth Willoughby-Montgomery)and Crom Castle (the ruined castle was home of Mariana Creighton wife of Hugh Willoughby). I have found where Carrow House used to be but it is no longer there. Ballyleck House is still there but not accessible for a photo. I believe that New Grove in Ballylesson was the home of my branch of  Montgomerys until inherited by the McNeills. https://www.propertypal.com/newgrove-estate-191-ballylesson-road-belfast/577897/gallery . I am looking for a connection with Ardress House where one of my early Montgomerys lived for a while (possible Cole cousin?). I believe that  my John Montgomery b. 1693 son of Hercules and Jane became a Quaker so was disinherited. Still lots to find out. :)
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.