Author Topic: Richard Gwyndaf EVANS (LEWIS / JONES) b6 Nov 1888  (Read 641 times)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Gwyndaf EVANS (LEWIS / JONES) b6 Nov 1888
« on: Friday 23 August 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

My husband's great-grandfather was known as Richard Evan LEWIS, although it was known he was illegitimate and was born as Richard Gwyndaf EVANS. His mother was Jane EVANS.

He is listed on several census records as living with, and being the son or adopted son of Richard and Martha LEWIS, Llanbeblig, Caernarvon. Family story had said they were actually his grandparents, and that his father was their oldest son John.

I ordered his birth certificate from the GRO and it has Richard Gwyndaf JONES in the father section, which has then been crossed out.

Anyone know how I can find out more? Would a copy of the original birth registration from the Caernarvon register office, give me more information perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gwyndaf EVANS (LEWIS / JONES) b6 Nov 1888
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
The birth registration certificate from the GRO should be an exact copy of the certificate held in Caernarvon register office.  Baptisms sometimes have different information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk