Author Topic: Help with newish computer.  (Read 1723 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Help with newish computer.
« on: Saturday 24 August 19 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  I upgraded to a new computer at the end of  May.  As i am now running on Windows 10 i knew i would have a few problems with Windows updates affecting my Family Tree program.
 Just a few days after getting the new computer up and running, i hit problems. I found out the i had had a corrupted Windows 10 update. Back to the shop it went. When i got it back and signed in it did not have my name but OEM. I tried to change the name of my computer to my own name as this is how i logged in on my laptop. The name of the computer is my name but i still have OEM when i start up. A friend of mine contacted  Microsoft Customer Support. He did everything as they said. So your computer should be back to the same settings you had before the update. I have an e-mail saying that if i want to come back to them with this issue or any other issue they recommend their Assure Software Support Plan which will cover me for the next 12 months.
Every time i start my computer i get OEM sign in. So i sign in. All my documents are now at users\OEM
How do i get rid of OEM??. It is driving me nut's.
Can anyone help me Please??
Plain English please as i only know the basics. ???     Turn ON  Work on Family Tree Turn OFF

Many thanks in advance
Carol (NZ)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help with newish computer.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 19 10:58 BST (UK) »
Have a read at this site
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-account-name-windows-10/

it has a step by step guide to changing the User ID on an account (which is the easy part)

Unfortunately changing the name of the folder where all of the information is stored is not so simple although there is a guide on that page. (be ultra careful as it involves editing the Registry File) - if uncertain of your own ability to do this I would advise getting it done professionally.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 August 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
There are two names involved, the name of the computer and the name of the user. I think it is the Username which is annoying you. The computer name is pretty well irrelevant - most people don't know what theirs is.

It is very difficult to rename a user properly, because there are a lot of folder names and registry entries involved. **

It is much easier to create a fresh user account with the correct name, copy the right files to its profile, then delete the account with the duff name.

The fresh account can be created under "Start Menu", "Settings", "Accounts", "Other Users". You can decide whether the user is tied in with a Microsoft Account (it's optional, but they try anyway).
Once the account is created, select it and "Change Account Type" to make it an Administrator. This is almost certainly the account status you are used to.

You can then log off and log on again with this "correct" user name (and password, if you set one up). Because there is now more than one account, you are given a "Logon" screen when you start up.

Once logged in to your "proper" account, use File Explorer to copy the contents of the folders under C:\Users\OEM to C:\Users\<proper name>. You should be asked for permission to get access to the "other" user's files.

Once you are happy that everything is working properly for you under your "proper" name, you can use "Start Menu", "Settings", "Accounts", "Other Users" to remove the "OEM" account.

** In a large organisation, a name change, such as a woman with a new surname after marriage, usually ends up with the folder names being left alone because of the effort involved.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 19 23:36 BST (UK) »
I will try your suggestion's tonight and see how i go.

Many thanks
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline FilBen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 19 20:58 BST (UK) »
Before you do anything at all of this nature, you should ensure you have made a backup.
You should copy your genealogy files at least to a USB stick but better than that, make a full backup of your complete pc including the Operating System.

You will need an external Hard Drive connected to your pc through a USB port. 
Then should anything go wrong, it is just a couple of clicks away to recover all your files and the OS back to how you were.

First click in the search box bottom left and type the letter C, you will now notice that a column has
opened and at the top it will say 'Control Panel', click on that to open it.

You will now be at the Control Panel.  Open the drop down by clicking on "View by: Category" and then chose 'Large icons'.
When the Control Panel opens, on the top row click on 'Back up and Restore (Windows 7)'

In the top left corner click on 'Create a system image' and follow the couple of simple instructions.

It really is important to do this and everyone should do it.  If anything goes wrong at all it is very simple to restore your pc back to how it was.

If you use Windows 10 recovery, you will lose all the apps you have installed or if you chose the clean, you will lose all the apps, programs, settings and files.

Don't worry that it says (Windows 7) on the Control Panel, this is Windows 10.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 August 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of my family Tree on my laptop, USB Stick, external Hard Drive and also Cloud backup. My tree is not on this computer yet.

Many Thanks
Carol

and many more.

Offline FilBen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 August 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
One of the sensible ones Carol :)
 I've had a lot of computers brought to me where they have lost all their family photos and other important documents hoping they can be recovered, but when the hard drive has broken
there isn't much can be done except for them to swear at the computer and blame that.

It's still a good idea to do a full system backup as well.

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi. As recommended complete backup will restore your Window files, but you will have lost all your other downloaded files. Re my my last post New Computer - All Windows and personal files recovered if some what haphazard. Missing was my Brother printer file which was rather a big download, Window 7 games, Windows Office, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, etc, etc. Have now copied these file to C drive where all my personal files are in one folder. ??? will it work to recover, if computer crashes again!

Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
Computer going back to shop where it was brought. It was the shop that added OEM so they can remove it
Carol

and many more.