Author Topic: Civil registration versus RC baptismal records -- timing?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline NewHudsonRyans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Civil registration versus RC baptismal records -- timing?
« on: Saturday 24 August 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
My g-uncle Michael J. Ryan was born on June 25, 1864 -- or was it February 10, 1865?

The first date comes from the Templederry RC parish in the Diocese of Killaloe and the register at the parish office in Templederry, County Tipperary.  It lists my g-grandparents' names, Michael Ryan and Bridget Lynch.

The second date comes from the Silvermines Registrar in County Tipperary and shows my g-grandparents' names, Michael Ryan and Bridget Lynch, as parents in the townland of Cooneen.

I know that civil registration started in 1864 but did it take some time to become enforced in the rural counties?  In other words, are these records pointing to the same boy or different boys?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Civil registration versus RC baptismal records -- timing?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
My g-uncle Michael J. Ryan was born on June 25, 1864 -- or was it February 10, 1865?

The first date comes from the Templederry RC parish in the Diocese of Killaloe and the register at the parish office in Templederry, County Tipperary.  It lists my g-grandparents' names, Michael Ryan and Bridget Lynch.

The second date comes from the Silvermines Registrar in County Tipperary and shows my g-grandparents' names, Michael Ryan and Bridget Lynch, as parents in the townland of Cooneen.

I know that civil registration started in 1864 but did it take some time to become enforced in the rural counties?  In other words, are these records pointing to the same boy or different boys?

And the answer is: both are wrong!

You should always look at original records.

The original baptism record can be seen at
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634798#page/68/mode/1up

The date of baptism is clearly 25th January, 1865
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 19 11:49 BST (UK) »

And the answer is: both are wrong!

You should always look at original records.

The original baptism record can be seen at
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634798#page/68/mode/1up

The date of baptism is clearly 25th January, 1865

The civil record
Birth- 10th February 1865.  Informant Michael Ryan (father) registered it on 27th February 1865.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03584/2321108.pdf

Cooneen townland, Dolla Civil Parish, Co. Tipperary.
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/upper-ormond/dolla/dolla/cooneen/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 September 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've been puzzled by the same anomaly in quite a few of my Limerick ancestors where the baptism predates the birth!
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 September 19 01:08 BST (UK) »

One has to allow for the Birth Date on Cert was what they told the Registrar it was....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Also bear in mind that there was a fine for late civil registrations
A child would be baptised in the Catholic church as quick as possible to ensure they would not go to "limbo" but civil registration only took place when someone could go to the registrar's office.

Most of my relatives were baptised before they were born according to the records!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder