Author Topic: Estry Family, (also Estryack, Ostriger, Estrey)  (Read 513 times)

Offline Lawrence Estrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Estry Family, (also Estryack, Ostriger, Estrey)
« on: Sunday 25 August 19 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to trace people connected to Julius and Leah Estry, who came to Manchester or Lancashire, UK, from Russia or Lithuania in the late 19th century.

Several other Estry families exist, both in UK (and Australia) and in USA. I note with interest that these families were originally Eastern European and Jewish and that many of the same names occur, even when there is no apparent link. Most significantly, these other families put down roots in Manchester/Lancashire in the 19th century, albeit for a short time.

I would value any feedback on these queries,

Regards,

Lawrence

Offline Lawrence Estrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Estry Family, (also Estryack, Ostriger, Estrey)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
To place in context: I am a great grandson of Julius and Leah Estry who came from Lithuania or Russia to Lancashire, UK, in the middle of the 19th century.

There was also a Hyman Estry, a poultry dealer, living in Manchester at that time.

Further afield was poultry farmer Henry Estry from Michigan, originally of German or Russian extraction. Henry married Edna. His son Harry married Emma.

Also, Edward Estry, a farmer, now deceased,  from Minnesota, possibly related to Hyman and Rebecca Estry in Lsncashire, UK.

Although there appears to be no link between the two or three Estry families, several people think that the Estry Family from Europe is one family, albeit in distinct branches.

Would be grateful for feedback.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 19 00:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

My neighbour was born as Estry in Manchester in 1944. Her father was a poultry dealer. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lawrence Estrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

My neighbour was born as Estry in Manchester in 1944. Her father was a poultry dealer.

Thanks! Do you remember her name? Or any other details?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
She is still my neighbour and very much alive so her details cannot be given here.  Rootschat has a no living persons policy

I will send you a pm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)