Author Topic: Best family tree software  (Read 2648 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Best family tree software
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
The original question is subject to many and varied subjective answers!

It's rather like asking which is the best wine, coffee or beer ;D

Personally I use RootsMagic.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
I think the three dedicated mac programs to consider are "Family Tree Maker for Mac"; "Reunion" and "MacFamilyTree". Each one has its pros and cons. Go to each website, get an idea of the look and feel from the website, download a demo copy and see which one works for you.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 09:20 BST (UK) »
The way to choose software for any application is to decide what you want it to do, then find the ones which actually meet your requirements. Then look at the other features and the cost. Then make your decision after giving your short list of products a try by importing your gedcom back up.

Martin

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
For Mac specific Genealogy Software have a read at these reviews
https://machow2.com/best-family-tree-software-mac/

As said by others the best thing (PC or MAC) is to try the programs  what might be the ideal program for me might not suit the way YOU work. Get the piece of software that most closely approaches the way you work or want to work rather than you adapting your methodology to suit the program

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 September 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the ideas and comments. I will give them a try.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 September 19 22:00 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at MyHeritage Family Tree Builder recently.  As it is free and highly functional, it should get serious consideration.  It is very intuitive (easy to use without the manual), but it does have a very substantial and detailed manual.  It is totally free, but you need a subscription if you synchronize your data with the website after 250 folk on your tree.  There are no PC limits.

If I wasn't happy with what I already use, it would be my choice.  I'd love to hear any negative aspects.

Martin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 September 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Probably OK, but . . . . .

MyHeritage: In October 2017, the genealogy website MyHeritage suffered a data breach. The incident was reported 7 months later after a security researcher discovered the data and contacted MyHeritage. In total, more than 92M customer records were exposed and included email addresses and salted SHA-1 password hashes. In 2019, the data appeared listed for sale on a dark web marketplace (along with several other large breaches) and subsequently began circulating more broadly.

Only last week I received an email demanding payment in BitCoin, and quoting the password I used on MyHeritage?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)