Author Topic: Peter Conroy - 1911 Census  (Read 1452 times)

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Conroy - 1911 Census
« on: Monday 26 August 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with a query that has me stumped.

I am researching Peter Conroy (1880s) and have confused myself.

- Is it possible for the same person to appear on a 1911 census twice ... with 2 different ages and in 2 different places (close by)?

I think I have the following Information:

Peter Conroy  D.o.B 1874  Mother Mary Allen  Father James Conroy

1881 Census he was 7 years old and living with his family
1891 Census he was 17 and living with his sister Ellen Rooney in Scotland
1901 Census - I can't find him
1911 Census - There is a Reter Conroy (should be Peter) 37 years old visiting Annie Thompson (my Great (x2) Grandmother)
1911 Census - Peter Conroy 40 lives with wife Ann Weddell and kids Maggie (Margaret J W) who I believe marries Annie's (the one from the other 1911 census) daughter Mary's husband George William's brother John Thomas Hay. Confusing I know. But the Hays are my other side of the family. Mary and George William were my Great Grandparents.

Just to make it a little more confusing, there is a Margaret Conroy in the first 1911 visiting Annie Thompson, down as her niece but I don't think this is Peter's daughter as the ages don't match. I believe this could be her brother Edward's daughter.

How do I find out which is the correct Peter Conroy? I have a tree on Ancestry which I can grant access to for more info if anyone can help.

It's driving me crazy  >:( And they all chose to name their kids the same names so it's even more confusing.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Conroy - 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 August 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
Other than Peter being with sister in 'Scotland' in 1891 you haven't given us any locations for his place of birth, census records, etc. If you have found details already please post links where possible to save us from wasting time looking for the same details.

It's entirely possible for someone to appear twice in the same census- my grandmother was listed with her parents and then with her grandparents in another household in one census. In a later one her cousin was listed THREE times.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 19 15:25 BST (UK) »
Apologies, areas that he is mentioned in is:

1881: 7 year old Living in Bells Place, Bedlington, Northumberland (Census Northumberland, Bedlington, District 5 Page 22) with Mother and Siblings and cousin Elspeth Young
1891: 17 year old Living in Rhinds Row, Lanarkshire (Don't have a copy of the census)
1901: can't find a census for him
1911: 40 year old, Living with wife Ann and Children Joseph, Maggie and Lizzy (Census Northumberland, Hadston East Chevington, 5)
1911: 37 years old, Visiting William & Annie Thompson in 84 Medway Street, Hirst Ashington, Northumberland (Census Northumberland Hirst 12)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 15:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree it is perfectly possible for the same person to be listed twice.  If he was normally at home but visiting elsewhere on that particular night the people at home may have just included him as he was normally there. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
Just to note the same family he is with in 1891 called Rooney have someone with the same surname with them in 1901.

William Conroy 22 boarder born Sleekburn Bedlington
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
Do you know when Peter married?  There are children born before 1901 in Northumberland so in theory that's where they should be  :-\
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
In 1901 there is apparently an admission record for a Margaret J W Conroy, born 1894, at Ashington New Hirst Colliery Infants School.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 August 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
Peter Conroy marries Ann Weddell in 1894 Morpeth Mar Qtr 10b 488

Peter and Ann have the following children
Margaret 1895  Mar Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 410
Elizabeth Ann 1897  Sept Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 437
Joseph 1905 but not sure this is his real son as the birth registration gives a MMN of Gallagher

Mother Mary Conroy appears to die 1886 so that explains why the family is scattered in 1891.
Registration Year: 1886 Qtr June Age at Death:39 Morpeth

All Peter’s siblings appear to be on the 1901 census. However searching for Peter, Ann or daughters appears to bring no joy. You could always get Elizabeth’s birth certificate from 1897 and see if you can find that address in 1901.

In 1911 those two records for Peter are for the same person. You have him at home with his wife and children or with his sister (Annie Thompson) and her family, and his daughter Maggie is also there.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 10:01 BST (UK) »
In 1901 there is apparently an admission record for a Margaret J W Conroy, born 1894, at Ashington New Hirst Colliery Infants School.

Born 15.12.94
Admitted 14.1.01
Parent Peter
Address 11 Myrtle St
Last school Netherton
Left 25.1.01 Transd to Mixed

11 Myrtle Street in 1901, piece 4836 folio 126 page 2. No Conroy.