Author Topic: Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I can find no Euphemia Grant in birth was she not registered being a girl, or was she born Elspet Grant
Highly unlikely. Far more likely that the record of her baptism, if it ever existed, has not survived.

See https://www.whatsinaname.net/ - there is no evidence of any confusion or interchangeability between Elspet(h) and Euphemia.

Thanks Forfarian, there are two others I can find on record that fit the right time, 1) Euphan Grant born Edinburgh, to Hugh Grant and a Euphan McGregor, 25 June 1770, the other is up in Lairg, same year, but; as there is no history to either they are just being kept on hold . . .

From what I can see there may be 2 William Shaws and Euphemia Grants . . .

The first being William Shaw born 1753 - died 1826, in the kirkyard of Kirkmicheal just north of Tomintoul, Km 171, the Kirkmichael kirkyard closed in 1838, no idea on the Euphemia Grant as she gets a mention on the grave also at Kirkmichael , but; as no dates were given, without seeing the grave myself, I have no idea, was it just a mention on the grave or was it burial, my Euphemia Grant *Shaw died in 1842 and the Kirkmicheal kirkyard was closed by then, and she is buried at Tomintoul new cemetery with the rest of her family . . .   

William Shaw had to have been 41 at the time of his marriage in 1795, and what was Euphemia's age, they only had 4 children, did William Shaw possible marry twice . . .

William Shaw was from Delalyon just across the way from Delachule, the only records I hold there are a Donald Shaw's death, I cannot recall the year, but, this was before both of his sons wed, Donald Shaw who wed in 1796 and William Shaw who wed in 1795 . . .

I have gone as far as anyone into finding more on this family, by researching every cluster of Shaws in Scotland itself, but; given there are Shaws from Inchrory, Breamar, and others from further a field buried in that Kirkmichael kirkyard, I have no choice but to give up, and wait for another time . . .

I am now going over old researching on the newer Shaws - Laings - McGregors within the Banchory, Leochel and Cushnie, Kildrummy - Towie and Aberdeenshire area, just for the boring fun of it, time to knock it on the head I think, I am who I am, whatever . . .

And, many thanks Forfarian for the help you have given me over the time period, and to the many others, cheers Indiana . . . : )

Offline Meganf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita, I have just found this site and seen your interest in the Grants of Inverlochie. I have just found family connection here. I would love to connect with you and share what you know.
Kind regards, Meganf

Hello,
My apology for the lack of dates here. (Roughly late 1600s - late 1700s)
Our earliest known ancestor is Donald Grant of Inverlochy (near Tomintoul) m. Margaret Cumming
Both buried in Kirkmichael cemetery.

Son John Grant in Inverlochie m(1) Jean Forbes
Kids: Donald, William (Grant of Trois-Rivieres 1743-1810 Came to Canada in 1763, m. Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise), Jean, Elizabeth, Margaret, Ann.

John Grant in Inverochie m(2) Margaret Cumming
Kids: Donald, James, Unnamed (possibly John?), George (Musician in Elgin;Married Mitchie; son named Mungo), Cuthbert (1763-?; Came to Canada c1791), Ann, Girsel/Grace.

Would love to hear from anyone with a connection.
Thank you in advance.
Anita Grant Steele