Author Topic: Rachel COX or is it Martha?  (Read 925 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rachel COX or is it Martha?
« on: Thursday 29 August 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
When Joseph STOKES married Rachel COX on the 20th Aug 1778 in Easton in Gordano he said he was from Wraxall (she was from Easton in Gordano). They appear to have 5 children christened at Clapton in Gordano between 1779 and 1789 and there is also a son called Joseph christened at Wraxall in 1795. (transcribed on Ancestry as Joseph HOKES).

A mysterious Joseph & Martha STOKES had a son christened at Wraxall in 1793 (also transcribed on Ancestry as HOKES).  I can not find a marriage of a Joseph STOKES & Martha, nor find any more children for them, nor a burial of a Martha STOKES of a suitable age.   Can I assume that an error has been made in the original Christening Register and Martha has been substituted for Rachel?

I have found a burial for Rachel STOKES at Wraxall in 1840, suggesting a birth date of 1754 and would be grateful if anyone can offer help to sort Rachel and Martha out.  I'm just going round in circles and as Joseph & Martha's son, Samuel, is my 3 x great grandfather I would welcome any ideas.  Was Rachel entered as Martha in 1793?  Thank you and if so, who were Rachel's parents?
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel COX or is it Martha?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 19 03:55 BST (UK) »
It's not unheard of for mistakes to be made in registers - they were often compiled later, and the clerk or vicar may have written down the wrong name, or forgotten, or couldn't find the piece of paper he'd written his notes on!

Some ideas to try and find more information.

Does the death entry you quote for Rachel Stokes in 1840 give her as 'wife' or 'widow'? of whom?
Do you have her death certificate?
What does that say?
If she was 86 years old, as you suggest, she may well have outlived her husband.

Do you know when Joseph died?
Have you looked for a will for him?
He may well mention his wife.

Do you have a birth/baptism for Rachel Cox? And know her father's name?
Again, I'd look for a will and see if she, and,hopefully, her husband Joseph Stokes. are mentioned.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your suggestions - they were very helpful and at one point I thought "Now, why didn't I think of that!"   There is nothing in the burial register which gives a relationship.  I had looked for wills - unsuccessfully - but on checking back I didn't have Rachel's death certificate - so have just sent for that.   Interestingly, the GRO Index gives her age at death as 80, whereas the Burial Register has 86.  Joseph STOKES died in 1834 - no will there either.
Very grateful for your interest in my problem!
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
I have received the death certificate for Rachel which confirms that she was the widow of Joseph STOKES and her age was 86.  Her death on 12 July 1840 was notified by a George STOKES, present at death.  I believe him to be her grandson, son of her youngest son Joseph. 
I wonder whether the Overseers' Accounts might have some reference to her?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 22:27 BST (UK) »
So it looks a good possibility the vicar got the names mixed up on the baptism of the son christened in 1793 (Samuel) then.

Famous error in parish registers! -
https://shakespearedocumented.folger.edu/exhibition/document/entry-bishops-register-concerning-marriage-william-shakespeare-and-anne-hathaway
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs