Author Topic: Looking for baptism Mark Philip Balls  (Read 472 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for baptism Mark Philip Balls
« on: Thursday 29 August 19 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mark married Mary Smith in Horningdean in 1701, Mary was om Bury St Edmunds and they moved to Hundon where their son John was born in 1711. I would like to know where he was baptised

His parents were Simon Balls and Sarah,  I haven;t been able to find a wedding or them although Simon died Hundon and is buried in Bury.

Many thanks

David

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism Mark Philip Balls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 19 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mark married Mary Smith in Horningdean in 1701, Mary was om Bury St Edmunds and they moved to Hundon where their son John was born in 1711. I would like to know where he was baptised

His parents were Simon Balls and Sarah,  I haven;t been able to find a wedding or them although Simon died Hundon and is buried in Bury.

Many thanks

David

Which sites have you already tried?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I haven't found Mark's baptism (1670s?) but I see that he married at Horringer (formerly known as Horningsheath or Horningserth rather than Horningdean) in January 1701/02 (FreeREG). The marriage licence (apparently issued six months earlier) authorized butcher Mark Balls and Mary Smith (both of Hundon) to marry at either Horringer or Bury St Edmunds (Allegations ... Archdeaconry of Sudbury ... , part I, p. 56, no 393).

The Suffolk FHS burial index covers both the main churches of Bury St Edmunds (St Mary and St James) from about 1650, so I was surprised to find only one Simon Balls in that town: the son of George Balls, in June 1703 (at St James, where Symond, son of George and Mary, was baptized in April of that year). No fewer than three Simons were buried at Clare, the earliest in January "1718" (probably 1717/18). I suspect he was Simon Balls of "Culidge" (Cowlinge), whose will shows that he too was a butcher, if I'm not misreading the SRO's thumbnail image.

Since this part of Suffolk is very close to Cambridgeshire, perhaps you would have better luck there.

David

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Many thanks for that very useful information.

Kind Regards

David