Author Topic: Napoleon baptised in Kenmare...what the heck?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Napoleon baptised in Kenmare...what the heck?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 August 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 August 19 13:26 BST (UK) »

church records

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Napoleon Bonaparte baptised 30.6.1823 Kenmare father NR Bonaparte

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oa6/

KG

Which is just a link to the (bad) transcription of the parish records Stender posted at the start

Offline Stender

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 August 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Philipsearching that this is looking more and more like a 19th century prank.
Indeed it was Cardinald Joseph Fesch who baptized Napoleon 2nd, he was Archbishop of Lyon and the head of the catholic church in France. I read an account of the baptism which lists who was there, only important people were named and apart from the cardinal only "the clergy of the cathedral"  and "his clergy" were mentioned.
I've had answer back from the county archives, they read CS O'Callaghan, and said:
"Pádraig de Brún's Some Lists of Kerry Priests, 1750-1835, Journal of the Kerry Archaeological & Historical Society, Volume 18, has a Charles O'Callaghan as a Curate at Kenmare in 1835.  He matriculated from Maynooth in August 1823, and died as PP of Ballymacelligott Parish in 1868 at the age of 76."
They also said that Napoleon 2nd never came to Ireland, so we can take that as a fact now (we have 2 reliable sources).
No answer as yet from Napoleon Ireland, I wrote to them last night.

One thing, I read that the baptism wasn't sure to go thru as Napoleon 1st was excommunicated and he was very worried they wouldn't accept to baptise his son. But they did.

I'm thinking it's either a prank OR philipsearching is right and maybe an archbishop or somebody may have assisted to represent the Irish, and he would have had an entourage of his own, our O'Callaghan was in it.

Doesn't anybody think it's odd that the person who transcribed the register on Irish Genealogy didn't say anything to anyone? And surely I'm not the first person to have noticed this! I think that the Kenmare paper should do a little research for us, they could do a fun article about it!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 August 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
It may not be a spoof, but for a misguided reason. British citizens caught in France were interned so the Father would not have risked the trip. Napoleon signed a Concordat with the Pope, whereas the Revolution murdered the previous Pope. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Stender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
The fellow from the County archives also put forward a theory, which I rather like :

It is possible (if incredible!) that O'Callaghan marked the year of his matriculation with a momentous event in Europe!

What do you think?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 August 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Well he could have had relatives in Ireland going back to the Battle of the Boyne, did all the French Army go home or did some of them stay in Ireland.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 August 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
church records

Jacobus Bonaparte baptised 1801 St Andrew Dublin
Father Dominic

Mary Magdelin Bonaparte baptised 14.6.1835 St Mary Cathedral Dublin
Father Geo

Marie Bonaparte Wyse death in 1960 in Rathdown aged 92

I would love it to be true that Napoleon had ties with Ireland as I am Irish but brought up in England.

Some time what you read is not always the truth I have never been back to Ireland but some else is going to Ireland as me.  So I now mistakes can be made.

It is possible they just named him after Napoleon

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 August 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
Sir Thomas Wyse married Letita Bonaparte niece of Emperor in Italy in 1821 lived in France son Napoleon born moved to Waterford had another some William.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 September 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
Bonaparte and Wyse list on peerage site

http://www.thepeerage.com