Author Topic: Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner  (Read 2395 times)

Offline jillaru

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 September 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
firstly thankyou to all for your replies

Rosinish his father is listed as Peter Gardner sailmaker, mother is Jane Short home maker

Annette 7 I have all I could find so far in Australia, his marriage is the beginning the birth of his children what ship he was a lighterman on and voting as well as his death ( my grandmother got his name and age wrong then buried her second husband on top of him lol.

forforian that is the strangest thing have not been able to find any shipping records for him other than being a lighterman on the Yarra river from 1914 until his death 1943 I have figured that a lighterman is a captain of sorts and so needs to have passed some sought of training or such

Annette 7 i have made the same connections that you have made meaning Jane Shaw and the river tye etc, and have had the same thoughts about lying however I dont have any proof as to that either sadly so I thought if I tried to find Patrick H H Gardner that may help prove it right  or wrong.
All the ancestry connections lead from my account. The problem also extends from the stories that my father has told me that Patrick was one of 19 children that he left home age 13 to become a sailor. There doesnt seem to be one family member from scotland that seems to be looking for this man my grandfather which seems strange to me as he had emigrated wouldnt someone want to know what happened to him.

ev I am not sure if that is what that means but it would make sense I am not really sure how any of that works

Gardner, Houston, Parmer Williams

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 September 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Marriage Ref. from what Annette posted);

GARDNER PETER
SHAW JANE
574/ 82 Port Glasgow (Renfrew)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 September 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillaru and welcome to Rootschat,

Annette said - I feel sure that Peter Gardner born 15/12/1877 and Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner born 18/12/1886 are in fact the same person.   I can't prove it however.

I agree -  as Annie pointed out earlier, Peter and Patrick were interchangeable names , so he might have been registered at birth as Peter but been called Patrick by his family all his life.

You said - Rosinish his father is listed as Peter Gardner sailmaker, mother is Jane Short home maker     The name Short sounds like someone's effort (maybe unfamiliar with his accent)  at writing down the name Shaw.

The fact that Peter Gardener the sailmaker's mother had the maiden name of Houston which Patrick has acquired is compelling evidence too.

Looby :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 September 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
"Peter Gardener the sailmaker's mother had the maiden name of Houston which Patrick has acquired is compelling evidence too"

Agree Looby & accents can make a huge difference but having the knowledge (anyone) to work it out can reap benefits.

It's possible too, Peter wasn't sure of his mother's maiden name i.e. a sound-a-like?

Peter/Patrick (in my own experience) are usually Scottish/Irish (Gaelic) connected.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 September 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
"Patrick was one of 19 children that he left home age 13 to become a sailor. There doesnt seem to be one family member from scotland that seems to be looking for this man my grandfather which seems strange to me as he had emigrated wouldnt someone want to know what happened to him"

I agree, you'd think so...

Have you traced back earlier census records for family to gather some/all '19' children?

Annie

Offline jillaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 September 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
hi guys,
I also came to the same conclusions you all have made however still no proof. Hard to claim scottish heritage without proof. I have followed the tree back to before 1722 following gardner and houston to 1040, Shaw 1759 but none of the Gardners have 19 children, I am thinking that was a tall story or maybe he is talking about being on the river Tay I am sure there were at least 19 people with him. The funny thing is that the Houstons married a couple of Shaws along the way. Patrick did say he ran away from home about aged 13 and jumped on a ship My problem is that my grandparents told a few lies along the way his wife is even younger than she wrote on her marriage certificate and we grew up thinking she was Maori however she was actually African, my father died without knowing that which was sad. So solving this would be amazing.
Does anyone know if there was some record for Scottish born sailors emigrating to Australia in the earlier 1900s?

Thank you always for your insight and help nice to bounce ideas

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 September 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
How about a trawl through the online archive of the Greenock Telegraph!

Skoosh.

Offline jillaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 November 20 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who helped me the last time I was on, I wanted to thankyou for your insights as they were most helpful. I have an update that I'd like to share. Peter Gardner born to Peter and Jane on the 15 Dec in Greenock is indeed my GF (also known as Peter Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner). I have caught up with the GD of his brother, William, and we have matched DNA wise. Hooray an answer. Only problem is that she doesnt have any info either as she didnt know her GF and now lives in USA. So now we are both waiting for the sister's descendants to come.
As far as Peter's shipping career, the River Tay is a yes and I also found him at Chatham as a Collier. He left in 1908 a few months before I have him arriving in Oz. This is about the time he changed his name as he has arrived under the name Patrick and changed his birth year. The ship he arrived in Oz on as a sailor had a captain named Sydney Albert Awning, 2 of his sons names are Sydney and Albert. The discrepancy here is that he has stated he came from DHead??? I know there is one in Ireland but not sure about the rest of the UK. This is the only Peter or Patrick to arrive in Australia in the right time frame but like all other things I could be so wrong.
Thankyou all again so much, it was so helpful, stopped me thinking I was nuts and with that I have gone back a ways  back to a Robert Gardner circa 1626 Kilbarchan Renfrewshire and that is where I have stopped, all thanks to you guys confirming my thoughts and giving me a few more clues along the way

Cheers

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 November 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Good to hear you have a DNA link now.

Your next step would be the birth cert. for brother William to confirm the names of parents & date/place of their marriage.

Does William' g/daughter have the image to confirm?

Annie