Author Topic: Sarah Ann Nelson  (Read 1301 times)

Offline smithy

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sarah Ann Nelson
« on: Friday 30 August 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann Nelson born 1848 in Walworth London to Dennis Nelson and Ann Kendall, In 1863 she married James Thornton in Wolverhampton, their only child William James Thornton was born in1865 in Wolverhampton, James registers the birth, by the 1871census Sarah Ann and William James are living with her parents Dennis and Ann Nelson in Sneinton Dale Nottingham, she states she is a widow. In 1874 she marries Mark Coleman at  Sneinton, they have two children Marcus Henry born 1875 and Annie Elizabeth Wales born 1877 died 1878.On 1881 Mark and Sarah Ann Coleman and their son Marcus Henry are living in Pinxton and William James Thornton  living with grandparents Dennis and Ann Nelson. 1881 is the last mention of Sarah Ann, Mark Coleman states he is widowed on the 1891 census. Have tried to find a death or any other mention of her without any luck this has been an ongoing brickwall for a very long time. On 1891 census both Marcus Henry Coleman and William James Thornton are with Dennis and Ann Nelson.
Thanks in advance to any one who may be able to shed some light on Sarah Ann
Carol (smithy)
Gee Nelson Thornton (Nottingham)
Thornton (Staffordshire)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Nelson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling she may have married Henry HARDWICK as Sarah Ann THORNTON Dec. Qtr 1886 Nottingham.

There's a death for Sarah Ann HARDWICK 1887 age 39 Jun Qtr Nottingham.

On the GRO BIRTHS there are these two:

HARDWICK, CLARENCE  REUBEN    mmn   NELSON   
 1884  D Quarter in NOTTINGHAM  Volume 07B  Page 324
  HARDWICK, CLAUD  JAMES    mmn   NELSON   
 1887  M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM  Volume 07B  Page 380

(Both sadly died young.)

Their baptisms are on FreeReg and show parents as Henry and Sarah (Ann).

Maureen

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 19 02:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is your Mark and Sarah COLEMAN. They are the only couple I can find married in Nottinghamshire in the time period. (Sorry it's not very pleasant reading.)

"ASSAULTS ON WOMEN - ... Mark Coleman was charged under a warrant with having assaulted his wife Sarah, on the 16th March. It was stated that the parties were separated, and that the prisoner on the night named dogged his wife's footsteps until at a quiet spot when he struck her and knocked her down. He hit her with a walking stick on the right ear, and beat her about the head, face, and body. Prisoner was remanded to the Police-station until the following day, in order that additional evidence might be obtained."
 Nottingham Evening Post. (May 31, 1883)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 August 19 02:51 BST (UK) »
Additional to the above article:

"ASSAULT CASES - ... Mark Coleman was charged with having on the 16th of March last assaulted his wife near Sneinton Church. Mr Lees prosecuted. The prisoner knocked Mrs. Coleman down with his fist, beat her over the head and body with a stick, and kicked her. It seemed they had been separated and the prisoner followed her to a convenient spot to commit this outrage. He was sent to prison for one calendar month."
Nottingham Evening Post. (June 1, 1883)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 19 04:19 BST (UK) »
Additional to the above article:

"ASSAULT CASES - ... Mark Coleman was charged with having on the 16th of March last assaulted his wife near Sneinton Church. Mr Lees prosecuted. The prisoner knocked Mrs. Coleman down with his fist, beat her over the head and body with a stick, and kicked her. It seemed they had been separated and the prisoner followed her to a convenient spot to commit this outrage. He was sent to prison for one calendar month."
Nottingham Evening Post. (June 1, 1883)

Yes,that's why I wasn't too surprised to see her marrying under THORNTON but just so sad that she died so young.

Maureen

Offline smithy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the replies to my query about Sarah Ann Nelson. I am now going to send for marriage certificate to Henry Hardwick. How sad two children died.Thank you Maureen for the lookups Thanks so much for the newspaper articles maddys52
Just to add to this how common was it for people to marry if there was no divorce? I shouldn't imagine they wouldn't have had money to obtain a divorce.
By the way Sarah Ann Nelson is my 2xgreat grandmother.
Regards
Carol
Thornton (Staffordshire)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:43 BST (UK) »

Just to add to this how common was it for people to marry if there was no divorce?

It happened quite frequently but I couldn't quote any statistics. :)

Do let us know how you get on with the marriage cert. please.

Maureen

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree I think it was not uncommon - I certainly have at least one case of clear bigamy in my tree. There are also many newspaper articles about people being caught for bigamy.

So sad that domestic violence also has such an old tradition.  :'(

Offline smithy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 December 19 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen and Maddy 52, At long last I have ordered and received marriage certificate for Sarah Ann Nelson/Thornton, it now confirms she did marry Henry Hardwick! So I would like to thankyou both as it has been a brickwall for a number of years.

Regards Carol.

Thornton (Staffordshire)