Author Topic: William Blythe, Derby Railway Orphanage Bible  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Blythe, Derby Railway Orphanage Bible
« on: Friday 30 August 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am fortunate to have a few bibles and a hymn book in my possession. None of them are particular old, the oldest printed in the late 1920s. They are not family bibles like some of you have posted about, containing family details but they are all named to their previous owners.

One was given to my Great Grandmother in 1935 for her confirmation (she would have been 34-35 yrs old at the time and sadly died 10 years later)

One belongs to my Dad from when he was a child, issued by the Gideons ( I still have mine)

The Hymn Book belonged to my Gran who was adopted shortly after birth https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812275.0 and she has entered a few details and dates of when living at various addresses.

The final one I found whilst clearing out my Grandads house upon his death. It is a small bible with the following written on the inside

"Presented to William Blythe by the committee of the Railway Orphanage Derby, on his leaving 23rd July 1930  signed Albert Dean Secy"

I found Albert Edward Dean in the 1911 census as Secretary at the Railway Servants Orphanage. He was 45 at the time and when I find him again in the 1939 register he is recorded as "Retired Secretary"

I've not however been able to find a link to William or who he was, and I have no idea why this bible was in my Grandparents house. I'm not sure if William was a child or worked at the Orphanage, I was leaning to previously living there as a child.

Does anyone have any clues or advice on finding out who William was?

Thanks
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Blythe, Derby Railway Orphanage Bible
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
possibly this may help

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/DerbyRailway/

Derby records office has some items, but without a date it may be hard to find.

Mike

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
Mike,

thank you for the link, it has given me some further clues and avenues to pursue!
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
An article in Derby Daily Telegraph 13 October 1932 records Albert Edward Dean F.C.I.S completing 50 years in the service of the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Derby. So quite a span to find when William Blythe was presented with the bible.  ???

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
Bit more info  :)

Albert Edward Dean was assistant for 19 years and 31 years as secretary and manager.

If you have access to British newspaper there is a photograph of Albert E Dean (1932)

JJ

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
My apologies!

The Bible was presented in 23rd July 1930, I must have deleted it accidentally when typing up my original post

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
My apologies!

The Bible was presented in 23rd July 1930, I must have deleted it accidentally when typing up my original post

That could help to know the date  ;D

JJ

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
My apologies!

That could help to know the date  ;D

JJ

Ha, yep! I've amended the original post