Author Topic: Lubomirska: Poland  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Lubomirska: Poland
« on: Sunday 01 September 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
I'll looking to determine the life path of Frank Jackson, born to Arthur and Barra Jackson in 1919. I have a suggestion that he married in Cracow (possibly briefly) during WW2 to Wanda Lubomirska as shown in this line from a Polish genealogy:

7f) Wanda Zofia Antonia Johanna (Nice 13 Jun 1923-Key West, Florida 14 Sep 1983); m.1st Warsaw Sep 1944 (div) Alexander Pawlikowski; m.2nd Cracow 23 Feb 1945 (div) Frank Jackson (b.Strowsey, Great Britain 11 Dec 1919); m.3rd London 23 Aug 1949 (div) Ct Jan Krasinski (Krzeszowice 11 Aug 1924-21 May 201 ); m.4th Reno, Nevada 24 Dec 1965 Joseph Rucinski (Kiev 13 Aug 1907-6 Jun 2005)

Don't know about "Strowsey" but that led to another Polish genealogy page which did confirm Frank's parents as "my" Arthur and Barra Jackson.

The marriage lasted less than four years with Wanda marrying again in London in 1949. I'm wondering if there might be any clues as to where the divorce took place.

Thoughts would be gratefully received

Cheers Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lubomirska: Poland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 September 19 12:18 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately actual divorce records for this period are difficult and likely there may only be a legal reference. I think for England/Wales (presumption if she remarried London) you have to pay 45 quid just to get a confirmation that a divorce exists.

But I did find this reference from 1945:
Princess Wanda Lubomirska married "nominally" a British soldier
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2805078
Seems more like Foreign Office correspondence about the marriage but it may give some information about whether the British authorities considered this a legal marriage in the first place - she might not have needed a formal divorce to remarry in England.

You would have to either go to the National Archives in Kew, find someone who can go for you, or ask them for a quote for making a copy (price will depend on how many pages are in that reference).

Also a French book (Les maréchaux de Napoléon III: leur famille et leur descendance ) on both Google Books and Gallica of which there are snippets which state:
Lors de celui-ci, Frank Jackson se trouvait en Pologne comme prisonnier de guerre anglais en instance de rapatriement

So Frank was a prisoner of war in Poland - you could look for records on this or his war records in general.

(I cannot access the full book but I doubt there is very much more detail on Frank).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 September 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

TNA approached.

I haven't found any reference to war service yet - and I was surprised just how many Frank, F.N. and F. Jackson were POWs during WWII!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 September 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
not all trees are correct - check this one out

WANDA LUBOMIRSKA

Born 13 June 1923 - Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte D'azur, France
    Deceased 14 September 1983 - Key West, Monroe, Florida, United States, aged 60 years old

Parents

Hubert Lubomirski 1875-1939

Katharina Radziwill 1889-1975

Spouses and children

Married in September 1944, Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland, to Alexander Pawlikowski ca 1920- , divorced ,
    Married 23 February 1945, Kraków, Malopolskie, Poland, to Frank Jackson 1919- , divorced ,
    Married 23 August 1949, London, Greater London, England, to Jan Krasinski 1924-2013 , divorced ,with
        Living ?
        Living ?
    Married 24 December 1965, Reno, Washoe, Nevada, United States, to Joseph Rucinski 1907-

Siblings

M Jan Kazimierz Lubomirski 1913-1984 Married 20 October 1942, Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland, to Gabriela Elzbieta Przezdziecka 1917-2003
    M Hubert Stanislaw Lubomirski 1914-1977 Married 12 July 1947, Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland, to Anna Krzyzanowska 1915-1967
    Hubert Stanislaw Lubomirski 1914-1977 Married 26 December 1949, Czersk, Bydgoszcz, Poland, to Halina Krajewska 1925-1997
    Hubert Stanislaw Lubomirski 1914-1977 Married 6 April 1968, Leczyca, Plock, Poland, to Malgorzata Kalwa 1915-
    F Anna Maria Lubomirska 1916-1973 Married 4 November 1943, Repki, Siedlce, Poland, to Tadeusz Maria Doria-Dernalowicz 1916-1959
    M Zdzislaw Herakliusz Lubomirski 1917-1996 Married 17 February 1979, London, Greater London, England, to Maria Dzierzanowska 1906-1995
    M Henryk Lubomirski 1919- Married 18 September 1946, London, Greater London, England, to Adelajda Malachowska 1921-2003
    M Heraklius Lubomirski 1926-1992 Married 29 April 1956, Milanówek, Warszawa, Poland, to Anaide Kuruljanc 1926-2011
    Heraklius Lubomirski 1926-1992 With Living ?

:)
tree can be found here
https://gw.geneanet.org/nconway567?n=lubomirska&oc=&p=wanda

do you know the tree owner Nicole Conway ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 September 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
The main reason for starting this thread was to try to determine not what happened but why. The timeline seems quite extraordinary.

Marriage 1 lasted at best from marriage to divorce less than six months. Is that timescale feasible in Poland.
Marriage 2 (to Frank Jackson) lasted about four years. It may have started in Poland but certainly ended under English jurisprudence.
The TNA file labels Frank's as a "nominal" marriage. I have asked an expert in marriage and family law what a "nominal" marriage is. The answer came back  "I don't know.  It is not a technical legal term".
That it did take place in England is easily explained by filling in the details of the two "Living ?" lines under the Jackson marriage. They are both registered in the Westminster district and not under the Jackson name. Incidentally the next marriage "Marriage 3" is actually indexed in Westminster six times.
So, bearing in mind the history of Europe at the time,  I'm not looking for the what but more the how and why of this affair - and how it affected Frank Jackson
Alan

Offline CharlieGrandson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 20 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, not sure if you found what you are looking for, but Wanda has two children in NY that are from the previous marriage before Jackson. My mother worked for her and Rucinski. What I was told is that Wanda was fleeing from persecution and Jackson end up saving her by having her by employing her, but the only way to get her out of the country was if they got married to which they made that compromise. She may have gotten divorced in San Francisco as that is where Rucinski met her while she was working at a diner/bar and Rucinski said that she seemed poor as she wore clothes that was torn.