Author Topic: Llyn y Meibion - "Llandwrog Uchaf"?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llyn y Meibion - "Llandwrog Uchaf"?
« on: Sunday 01 September 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
A all unrhyw un ddweud wrthyf ble y mae Llyn y Meibion a Llyn y Meibion Bach os gwelwch yn dda. Rhywle o gwmpas Llandwrog fe gredaf. Yr unig beth cyffelyb a welaf ar fapiau ydyw "GLYN y Meibion" ger y Groeslon. Diolch

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Llyn y Meibion - "Llandwrog Uchaf"?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
A yw o bosibl yn "glyn" nid "llyn"? Os felly, beth am y ffermydd hyn? Ymddiheuriadau, ychydig iawn o Gymraeg sydd gen i felly rydw i'n defnyddio Google translate. Rwy'n gobeithio bod hyn yn ddealladwy!

https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/111c5714-69b1-4f25-a1d5-4e090594cc1c

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Diolch yn fawr iawn. // That is the only place that I found as well. Changing Llyn to Glyn is quite a significant change though... There are numerous references to "Llyn y Meibion" in baptism and burial records at Llandwrog - not just a one-off typo. I wonder if anyone else can help?

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Two wills in the NLW refer to Llyn y Meibion: Robert Hughes and Robert ap Prichard David Lloyd.

The burial for Robert Hughes in 1766 gives his abode as Llyn y Meibion Mawr. In the other, Llyn looks a bit like Glyn.

There are also references to a Llyn y Meibion Isaf.

Glyn (y) Meibion Mawr and Isa(f), formerley Glyn-y-meibion-bach, are close to each other, as are Isaf and Uchaf in the census.

David

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you DCB. // Diolch...

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 19 22:30 BST (UK) »
The Gwynedd Archives online catalogue apparently includes a deed referring to Llyn y Meibion but I haven't been able to get the site to open.  The same catalogue entry seems to be in a list in a pdf online: 

"3666. 1785 1. William Roberts of Llyn y meibion parish of Llandwrog, co. Caernarvon, yeoman. 2. David Thomas, yeoman.  DRAFT ASSIGNMENT of Leasehold premises (leased from Sir William Owen of Orielton, co. Pembroke) comprising a house and garden in the parish of Llandwrog, part of Llyn y Meibr, for the remainder of the said term.  Rent 18/-"   

Bangor University Archives' catalogue includes an early map showing Llyn y Meibion Isaf:

"LLYS/53  Maps of Bodowen (Bodeon) estate in the cos. in Anglesey and Caernarfon, the property of W. Lewis Hughes, Esq.(afterwards Lord Dinorben).  Reduced and copied from the original Surveys 1816 by W. Jones. The Caernarvonshire lands were mainly in Upper Llandwrog - Llyn y Meibion Isaf, Ty Nant, Cae Ronwy, Gelli Ffrydan. It is at present a bit of a mystery when these Caernarvonshire properties became part of the Bodeon estate. There are full references to the maps - individual fields, acreage, etc. n.d."

"Llynn y meibion" is also referred to in the NLW will of Hugh John Lewis 1729.  And "Glyn y meibion bach" in the NLW will of John Roberts Morris 1841. 

And on the Carnarvon Traders website there is an 1886 report from the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald of 24 September of a body found on the beach between the mouth of the river Llyfni and Clynnog, about three miles from Clynnog and a mile from the mouth of the river, by "Owen Jones, Llyn Meibion."  The transcription is a bit long to include here, so this is the link to it, just search "meibion" to find it on the page:

http://www.carnarvontraders.com/news1886.shtml

This sounds like a different location from the others, assuming someone going with his dog to fetch cows wouldn't have walked all that far.  If the body was taken to Clynnog, I wonder whether the place where it was found was in that parish not in Llandwrog.  Can't see any likely property names near the coast though.

Drosybont

Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that! I am amazed at how much work that you have put into this. This has certainly encouraged me to look further. Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Further to my initial question, I have made quite a lot of local inquiries and it certainly does appear that Llyn-y-Meibion is now called GLYN-y-Meibion.
Thanks to everybody that helped. /// Diolch yn fawr iawn.