Author Topic: Henry Salmon born 1769 and his house Rock House Witney  (Read 2006 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Salmon born 1769 and his house Rock House Witney
« on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if Rock House, which was on the corner of Puck Lane and Mill Street, Witney, is still there ?   Details found on British History website as follows : An earlier house of note is Rock House, a substantial early 19th-century villa residence built by the woolstapler Henry Salmon in a former quarry in the angle of Mill Street and Puck Lane, with a stuccoed symmetrical front and pillared portico

I have the marriage of Henry Salmon in 1793 to Mary Bishop which I think was in Chipping Norton and the 1841 and 1851 census for them, where it shows Henry was a woolstapler, involved I presume with Witney blanket company.    Can folks advise me where / what other information I might find prior to 1841 on them ?
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Salmon born 1769 and his house Rock House Witney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
If you look at Google maps and then Streetview, the area on one side of Puck Lane where it joins Mill Street is modern houses.

On the other side, this is what you can see (from Puck Lane - too many trees from Mill Street).
Difficult to see if this is Rock House and if it is the original building

https://goo.gl/maps/BL7f6dhGXQgriUGn7

Try an enquiry from the local History Society and Witney Museum?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Museum/Witney-Museum-and-Historical-Society-821763011319100/
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 19 15:31 BST (UK) »
If you go back along Puck Lane one click the view stops at a point where you can see most of the front of the house and it does look an old house typical of the period in question, a window either side of the central front door with three windows above.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
If you go back along Puck Lane one click the view stops at a point where you can see most of the front of the house and it does look an old house typical of the period in question, a window either side of the central front door with three windows above.

Ah.....maybe!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I saw what looked to be the house on Google maps.  Then phoned the Witney Museum today and had a very helpful chat to the lady there, who said it was still called Rock House.  As she lived nearby she offered to take photographs of it for me !

It also sounds as if they have quite a store of old documents and records relating to the area and local people who lived there so I am going to try and visit sometime.  She said to let them know when, and what particular aspect I wanted to research and she would get any records out for me.

So hopefully I might find out more on Henry Salmon and his house when I go there.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I saw what looked to be the house on Google maps.  Then phoned the Witney Museum today and had a very helpful chat to the lady there, who said it was still called Rock House.  As she lived nearby she offered to take photographs of it for me !

It also sounds as if they have quite a store of old documents and records relating to the area and local people who lived there so I am going to try and visit sometime.  She said to let them know when, and what particular aspect I wanted to research and she would get any records out for me.

So hopefully I might find out more on Henry Salmon and his house when I go there.

Excellent!  Good luck with the researches!  ;) ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
Henry Salmon is my 4 x grandfather. He married Mary Bishop 28 Feb 1793 in Chipping Norton were three of their children were born, moving to Witney between 1798 and 1800 where eight more children were born. Parish records St Mary the Virgin. My 3 x grandfather Horatio John being one of them. There is a suspicion that Henry may have been an inn keeper of an inn on Bridge St. Witney in 1814. He died 26 June 1852 and Mary died 23 December 1856. In the '41 and '51 census it states that Rock House was in Curbridge, a small village outside Witney, but visiting there in 2007 I could not find it. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place! If you have discovered any other information regarding the Salmon family and descendants I would be very pleased to hear from you

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 September 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
I am very pleased to hear from you as well !   I have lots and lots on the Salmon family !   I carried out research for someone who was a direct descendant of Salmon.  My link is that my father's aunt married a Salmon, so I have a personal interest in the family as well as researching far further back and wide than I probably would have done if not for this contact.  Who I am still in touch with.
Quickly looking at my information I cannot see a son for Henry and Mary named Horatio John, so that will be very interesting to discover.   I love sharing family history information with other like-minded people and of serious intent.  I will send a private message with my e-mail address.

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
The email address which you sent does not work, so I wonder if you would check it to make sure it is correct and I will try again. Blinshall