Author Topic: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??  (Read 8144 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??
« on: Monday 02 September 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am just starting to research my 4x Great Grandfather Brabazon Disney Shiels (Shields) and I am so confused.
The name Brabazon I thought unusual even for back then, so googled and it states a Brabazon was Anglo-Norman, and many bearers were Mercenary soldiers from England, then spreading to Scotland, Ireland and Wales. So not sure what his actual name was.
I then notice that there is a Church record recorded both in the Catholic and COI Church records for Brabazon Disney Shiels, married Rose Rooney on 11 March 1850. His Father was William Shiels and Rose's Father Patrick Rooney (Roony). In the Catholic entry under the name it says 2 Priests?
They were married in Darver, Co. Louth. The COI record advises Dromiskin & Manfieldtown, Co. Louth. So to make it even more confusing, there is a baptismal record for a Henry Shiels, born 19 June 1814, parents Brabazon Disney Shiels and Rose Rooney?? My last ? came after I found a birth record for Brabazon Disney Shiels, father William Shiels, born in 1790, so in 1850 he would have been 60 years old.
I have no experience on how to sort out and I am way out of my elements in records this far back. Any help will greatly be appreciated!!.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 September 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I don't understand some of the short forms of words. I still have lots to find out but from what you have provided my 5x GG was William Shiels. He had 2 sons, Henry and Brabazon(my 4x GG). They were both have Esq after their names? Still not sure where to look next but this is amazing. Thank you again for this information.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
The RC marriage left hand page
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632548#page/104/mode/1up
The WW stands for witnesses, in this case two priests, which looks like the couple didn't bring any friends with them to be witnesses.
Where did you find the COI record for the marriage, was it the same day?

I see the COI marriage has a civil cert, have you got this.

BTW I think that RC parish record is a transcript of the original, probably done quite a while ago before the registers were filmed in the 1950s, although there is nothing written on the book it just looks to neat and clean.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:26 BST (UK) »

shiels site:jbhall.clahs.ie/   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oaz/

only a few snippets about them....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,
You have helped me in the past so thanks now for again helping me. I found the marriage entry same date and names in the "Registers of Dromiskin Parish Church & Manfieldtown Parish Church. On page 9. This is a Anglican Project, Diocese of Armagh, Co. Louth, which came up on-line. The entries are typed out but I was surprised to see the same info there as in the RC Church records. I saw the actual church entry for the RC record which appears to be the original book as it is very old, hand written and you can definitely make out the names and date.
I can't access the civil certificate here in Canada. Can you advise the information on the certificate? Fathers of the groom and bride etc?
My 4x GG is from Newtown Darver, Co. Louth. Still don't understand what religion they were so any help or advice from this side of the world is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much Siann.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark!!!

Your snippets allowed me to discover that Shiels, Brabazon D. Esq. of Newtowndarver-Dundalk on 22/02/1811-Louth 50 Pounds= Freeholders Louth. Have no idea what that means and he also was appointed to Lieutenant of the 5th Regiment of Co. Louth on 14 April 1806.

From Canada so I need a history lesson to understand all this but for now I know that he is my 4x GG and can confirm where he lived in Ireland. Thank you once again for all your help.

Cheers from Canada!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
The image of the marriage cert isn't online yet, could be a few years before it is, you could buy a photocopy for €4 https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
apart from occupations and residence it won't tell you any more than already know.

It looks like he was COI and she was RC and they married in both churches to keep each other/family happy.
It happens.