Author Topic: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??  (Read 8186 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??
« Reply #72 on: Monday 24 February 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »

;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 24 February 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »

Well connected....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 24 February 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone and Hallmark THANK YOU. First it was suggested to me that if the marriage bonds were read out in the C of I Mansfieldtown Parish, then the RC priests having seen the bonds, could have just entered the marriage info in their records, although not an official RC marriage? Again I am from Canada so this I have no authority or knowledge on this topic. Not sure when children were born, since the marriage info is where the parents are 60 years of age.

Catholic marriage law required banns to be read aloud at 3 Sunday Masses. If a couple wanted to marry without the required number of banns, usually because they needed to marry in a hurry, then they had to ask for a dispensation from banns. It would have been noted in the marriage register "Disp." and the priest would have charged an admin. fee. R.C. and CoI had different rules about who was allowed to marry whom; e.g. Catholics weren't supposed to marry their 1st cousins (except with a dispensation from the Vatican) but members of an Anglican church could; Catholic  godchildren and godparents couldn't marry each other.
The wedding in the Catholic church on this occasion was a religious ceremony and had no legal standing because one spouse was a member of the Church of Ireland. The legal ceremony was the marriage in the Church of Ireland on the same day. Without the CoI ceremony, Rose would have had no legal rights as a wife.
There was a famous court case about a Catholic woman from England who married an aristocratic Irish Protestant in a Catholic church in Ireland. They met abroad during the Crimean war (1850s). They had a "handfasting" ceremony in Scotland (a kind of common-law marriage) before they went to Ireland. Some time after the marriage, the husband rejected his wife and became engaged to an heiress. That was how the wife discovered that she wasn't married according to Irish law. She pursued the man she believed was her husband through courts of 3 countries. Her situation wasn't unique but few abandoned wives were able to take legal action as she had.
A marriage in a Church of Ireland was recognised as canonically valid by the Catholic church at this time. A Catholic couple in England marrying in a Church of England was also accepted by R.C. clergy as this was a legal ceremony. A marriage in a Catholic church in England wasn't legally valid unless a registrar was present. It wasn't until 1909 that Catholic canon law required a Catholic to marry in the presence of a Catholic priest.
A Catholic priest who conducted a marriage between a Catholic and a member of the Established Church (Church of Ireland in Ireland and Church of England in England) was breaking the law during the period when the penal laws against Catholics were in force. Penal laws were gradually eased in both countries between late 18th and early 19th centuries. A Catholic priest was arrested in Ireland around 1830 because he had conducted a marriage in which one spouse was R.C. and one CoI. Some priests refused to conduct a mixed marriage as late as 1860 in case they were accused of flouting the law. (See evidence to Royal Commission on marriage reform). It's possible that the 2 priests who witnessed the wedding of Brabazon Shiels were reluctant to have their names recorded.
After civil registrations of births, marriages and deaths was introduced in England in 1837 most Catholic priests didn't hand in their completed registers to civil authorities, one reason being that the registers contained "illegal" marriages. It's possible that Brabazon and Rose had a secret, illegal wedding in a Catholic church decades before their 2 weddings in 1850.  In that case their child would have been regarded by the priest as legitimate at his baptism in 1814.
Cowban

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone, thank you for the detailed explanation regarding mixed marriages between C of I and Catholic faiths. If Brabazon and Rose did have a secret Catholic marriage would it have been recorded in the parish books by the Priest, or being it was secret would the Priest have not recorded the information. I know of one son Henry Shiels who was born around 1814 which I saw in the Catholic Church records  on-line and checked other years from 1815 and up to 1820’s for other children but couldn’t find anything. I’m wondering if Henry’s birth would also be recorded in the C of I records and maybe other children born after 1814. Anyway I keep searching, learning and some days get so frustrated however love the experience. You have been so kind and really appreciate what you have taught me. Thank you again👍😃🇨🇦

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 02:28 GMT (UK) »
If Brabazon and Rose did have a secret Catholic marriage would it have been recorded in the parish books by the Priest, or being it was secret would the Priest have not recorded the information.

I’m wondering if Henry’s birth would also be recorded in the C of I records and maybe other children born after 1814.

Marriage register: Possibly and possibly not. Darver marriage registers on NLI website begin 1837. Earlier registers at Louth County Library, transcribed on Roots Ireland (£) and on Ancestry (£). Catholic priests weren't the best record-keepers.
Some nearby parishes also have early registers. See map on Darver page on NLI site and click on each to find out what exists.

CoI baptism register: I don't know. It's possible. Some Irish mixed-faith couples had some children baptised in R.C. church and some in CoI.

I'm used to duplicate marriage ceremonies. Some of my Catholic relatives in England had 2 ceremonies pre-1837. They usually had the Catholic wedding the day before C of E. although one couple waited 6 weeks before turning up at C. of E. for the legal wedding.

There were various restrictions and penalties on Catholics such as not being able to inherit land, paying extra tax, not owning firearms or a quality horse, or entering some professions or becoming a Member of Parliament. These were gradually abolished over about 60 years from late 18th century.
Cowban