Author Topic: Looking for burial - Catherine Russell died Bonnybridge Falkirk 1873  (Read 1422 times)

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for burial - Catherine Russell died Bonnybridge Falkirk 1873
« on: Tuesday 03 September 19 06:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a burial of Catherine Russell who died in 1873 at Bonnybridge, Falkirk. Catherine was the 2nd wife of John Russell who died sometime after the 1851 Census aged around 90 yrs (no death reg can be found).  John Russell and his family had been living at Bonnybridge since before the 1841 census. I am hoping that Catherine was buried with her husband.

Shirlee
New Zealand
ARTHUR Shetland, Scotland BRADSHAW, London, England; CANTWELL, Tipperary, Ireland,; CARRICK, Glasgow, Scotland; GOAR/GORE Orkney, Scotland, HAM, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England; JOHNSON Shetland, Scotland, KINNA/KINNANE, Co. Clare, Ireland; MEEHAN, Co. Limerick, Ireland; MILNE Orkney, Scotland, MOUNTJOY, Hartland, Devon, England; REARDON, Tipperary, Ireland; STEPHENSON/STEVENSON, Londonderry, Ireland

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burial - Catherine Russell died Bonnybridge Falkirk 1873
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Was Catherine's maiden name Henderson ?
If so the burial could be under Russell or Henderson.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, Catherine's maiden name was Henderson.

Shirlee
ARTHUR Shetland, Scotland BRADSHAW, London, England; CANTWELL, Tipperary, Ireland,; CARRICK, Glasgow, Scotland; GOAR/GORE Orkney, Scotland, HAM, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England; JOHNSON Shetland, Scotland, KINNA/KINNANE, Co. Clare, Ireland; MEEHAN, Co. Limerick, Ireland; MILNE Orkney, Scotland, MOUNTJOY, Hartland, Devon, England; REARDON, Tipperary, Ireland; STEPHENSON/STEVENSON, Londonderry, Ireland

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Records on https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk

RUSSELL   CATHERINE   80   Death    1873   Falkirk Landward

Do you have the above death record, which would have been registered in Falkirk?

It looks likely that John died before Statutory Registration began in Scotland in 1855.

There are Church burial records on Scotland’s People in Falkirk 1817 – 1861 but no John there or elsewhere in the County but not all churches have burial records.

Bonnybridge is a small village in the Falkirk council area of Scotland. It is 4.0 miles west of Falkirk, as far as I can see the churches there were not established until after 1855.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do have Catherine Russell's death record and the informant was her neighbour who was recorded as being her neighbour in the 1871 Census.  Catherine was born in Caithness and she only had one daughter Helen who seemed to disappear after the 1861 Census so I don't think she had any other relatives around and the Russell's had lived in Bonnybridge for ages.

Shirlee

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
A – Z Indices are available for the following Burial Grounds:
http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/LOCATION%20INDEX.pdf

I did find a number of Russell burials in Denny near to Bonnybridge but no Catherine or John, amongst the ones I saw some went back to the period Catherine died but I think the earliest was 1865. So maybe one of the older burial grounds.

·   Denny Cemetery, Falkirk Road, Denny

Denny Cemetery (A803), Denny Stirlingshire
Denny Old Parish Churchyard Junction of Duke Street & Glasgow Road (A872),
Denny Stirlingshire
Dennyloanhead Churchyard Junction of Glasgow/Denny Rd. (A872) & Bonnybridge Rd. (A803) Stirlingshire.

I think it might be worth contacting Falkirk District Council for advice.

Bereavement Services
Cemetery & Crematorium Office
Dorrator Road
Camelon
FK2 7YJ
01324 503650
bereavement@falkirk.gov.uk

Separate post to follow re Helen.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
JOHN RUSSELL   Married    CATHARINE HENDERSON/   19/07/1816   Denny

I note from the 1851 census John was born Denny. Helen not listed
RUSSELL   John   Head   88   Leat Weaver   STI   Denny
RUSSELL   Catharn   Wife   70   Wife   CAI   

In 1841 address noted as Bonnybridge, Helen present age 20.

HELEN RUSSELL   Baptism    JOHN RUSSELL/CATHERINE HENDERSON    11/11/1818   Falkirk

I guess this is Helen’s marriage.
RUSSELL   HELEN   WILLIAM SCOTT   11/01/1843   Denny & Falkirk

In 1851 the family are at Woodend, Falkirk William a Farm Servant 40, Helen 35, John 6,
Elisabeth 1.

1861/1871 - as above plus Thomas 13 & Helen 7. (Helen senior noted as 58 in 1871)

Although the ages are out, if I have the correct family for Helen this may be her death record, Helen got older on each census.

HELEN SCOTT   Age    65   Died    1876   Falkirk Landward

WILLIAM SCOTT   Age    74   Died    1881   Falkirk Landward

All above on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Colin

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 19 04:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks ColC for all the help you have given me.  Upon searching for Thomas Scott, who was missing from the household of William and Helen Scott in 1851, I found a Thomas Scott, 3 yrs, in the household of his grandparents in Bowridge, Haggs, Denny, and his grandparents were Thomas and Elizabeth Russell. I then found a Tree on FamilySearch which actually took the RUSSELL family back to the 17th Century and Thomas' grandparents were Thomas Russell and Elizabeth Cuthill.

Thanks again

Shirlee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
found a Tree on FamilySearch which actually took the RUSSELL family back to the 17th Century
Never trust anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document - and even then be wary. In particular do not trust online trees.

You have no idea until you check this tree step by step whether the person who compiled it was carrying out their research carefully and proving every link, or just finding index references to people who seemed to fit, and assuming they were the right people.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.