Author Topic: Theodore R. Miller marriage details  (Read 775 times)

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theodore R. Miller marriage details
« on: Tuesday 03 September 19 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find details on my great-great-uncle's, Theodore R. Miller, marriage to Edna Anita Freyschmidt.  I know they married on 16 July 1946 but divorced at some point later.  I'm just stuck on finding anything on their divorce - nothing has come up on my Ancestry account for it.

At some point Edna remarried a Leslie Allen Lovett but not sure of the date of that either.

Many thanks,

Oli

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Theodore R. Miller marriage details
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
for others looking,
Edna A Miller Lovett of Eldersburg, Maryland, died 2003. No age at death in the obituary. Her son by Mr Miller was old enough to officiate at the ceremony. No Lovett children were mentioned.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2003-10-05-0310050442-story.html

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
another possibility for the location of the marriage:

Elsie's mother Jean Freyschmidt's services were at the Scarsdale [probably NY] Synagogue and her obituary was in the NY Times, January 24, 1978. She was 87.

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/01/24/archives/obituary-3-no-title.html

So the marriage may have been in that area as well.

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen the article from the Baltimore Sun before.

The Theodore Miller you mentioned in the 2nd reply is unfortunately the wrong one.

My great-great-uncle was Theodore Roosevelt Miller (1902 - 1990).  I know Edna was born in 1920.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:30 BST (UK) »

The Theodore Miller you mentioned in the 2nd reply is unfortunately the wrong one.

My great-great-uncle was Theodore Roosevelt Miller (1902 - 1990).  I know Edna was born in 1920.

Right, I went back and edited the post to delete that man. Too old to have a son after 1946.

Do you know where they were married? Although with an unusual name, if it was in the paper someone will probably find it for you. I don't have a subscription to newspaper sites and it is not showing up at familysearch. And you already tried ancestry.com.

Divorce records are hardly ever online, from what I've seen. You might have to request it from whatever jurisdiction it took place in.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:33 BST (UK) »
More importantly, maybe, where did Edna marry Mr Lovett? That might be where the divorce record is, if she was the one who filed for the divorce. I haven't looked for that marriage yet.

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
Apologies, had only seen your edit after I had replied.

I know Edna & Theodore were married in 1946 in New York but I'm have no idea where they were living when they divorced.  I'm assuming they were still in the New York area.

Have no idea about Edna's marriage to Mr. Lovett.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
There is a Bronx County index that covers divorces on Ancestry, but I don't know of any other online divorce index that covers anywhere else in the nearby area and time frame.  Sometimes you can find information about divorces in newspapers or the place/date will be referenced in a later marriage record.

New York divorce records are closed to the public for 100 years, so you would not be able to access them now if they divorced in New York. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 14:35 BST (UK) »

At some point Edna remarried a Leslie Allen Lovett but not sure of the date of that either.

It appears they married 31 Dec. 1970

The Burlington Free Press
Burlington, Vermont
Wednesday, March 01, 1972 - Page 6

LESLIE A. LOVETT
NORTH HERO - Leslie A. Lovett. 56, died Monday night in a Burlington hospital after a long illness. He was born in Worcester, Mass., Jan. 17, 1916, the son of Fremont and Mabel (Pillsbury) Lovett. Mr. Lovett was a former resident of Nyack, N.Y., where he attended high school. He was a Brown University graduate and until his retirement in 1970 he was transportation manager of Orange and Rockland Utilities in Spring Valley, N.Y. He married Edna Frey Schmidt Dec. 31.1970. He leaves his wife; three daughters..........MAY BE LIVING

====================

The Journal News
White Plains, New York
Thursday, March 02, 1972 - Page 15

Obit: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/35563601/leslie_lovettobit/

===

EDIT ADDED-

Leslie's mother Mabel died in June 1968. Her obit mentions "a son, Leslie A. Lovett of Nyack"