Author Topic: Eliminating people through no shared matches.  (Read 1880 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Eliminating people through no shared matches.
« on: Tuesday 03 September 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
Please can someone help me with this.

Ive got several shared matches and im trying to establish which of my relatives they belong to.I strongly suspect my grandad,who was illegitimate,but my maternal great gran is another possibility.

I have 2 matches to second cousins;people who I was already aware of.Their nan was the half sister of my nan.I share with them my maternal great gran.If the 3 matches im looking at were from my great grans father,would they also show a match to these second cousins.

Thanks.

Nel.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliminating people through no shared matches.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 13:18 BST (UK) »
Were these two women half sisters through their mother or their father?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
Through the mother.Shes the person im trying to eliminate.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
The person im trying to eliminate is my nans mum.She had a relationship before she married my great grandfather which produced one daughter,nans half sister.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
If these three matches were from you great gran’s father then they would not share DNA with the second cousins from her mother’s line, unless your great gran’s parents were related to each other in some way.
However, be aware that drawing conclusions from the absence of a match is not always a good idea. It is actually feasible that at half 3rd cousin level a small percentage of people may not show as matches even though they are biologically related.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I think thatd clear,but I find it very confusing.My great gran was illegitimate,so I dont know who her father was.Im looking at whether the 3 matches are from her father.The second cousins are down through both parents,then my great gran,then 2 of her children,including my nan.Would the second cousins share DNA with the matches if my  great grans father is the link,as they are also from him.

Lee

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
Or put another way,theres me and the second cousins,their nan and mine were half sisters different dads.Then our shared great gran,her father is unknown,and its him I want to try and confirm or eliminate as connected to the 3 matches.The second cousins are no match to the 3 matches.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
Im not following the who's who here
Could you give surnames or initials or numbers please it would help me

Do you use the colour coding system .

If you code known cousins DNA matches from maternal side red and paternal side blue  and matches with shared place of origins  green  you can then click on each of those matches and look at their trees if open if they mutually match with anyone else

Don't forget to look at list of
their surnames  not on your tree
When you compare the  non shared names on DNA profiles that match you even tho trees don't ..you may find a surname cropping up in a few trees which can give a clue to previously unknown relationship s

That would make more sense with examples
Or with a chart but I can't do those
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry im not good at explaining it.

Basically,ive found a number of DNA matches to members of  Romany families which I cant place anywhere in my tree,the only place I think they can be is my illegitimate grandads family(most likely),or my illegitimate maternal great gran,who im trying to discount.

The two second cousins I have share same great great grandparents as me(great grans parents),its the unknown great great grandfather where the Romany matches could be.But these two cousins dont share the Romany matches,so can I discount this line?

Lee